Happiness is

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Looking out in the morning and seeing 4 heifers have calved and all is fine...Started out with 30, 15 have calved...

We had 3 more heifers calve...If it would quit raining, we'd have them out and in their pasture today. Maybe we will get them there today and maybe a few more will calve before we get to them.
This year is a good heifer year. They seem very motherly, are calving easily and have huge udders. Some years just seem to go 'no so good'... But this year I cant complain so far....

I started out with 25 heifers. The first 13 no problems, 2 out of the next 6 I took no chances as I went ahead and pulled them as still all is well. Last Sunday a week ago it rained about 2 inches all day rain and had company. One smaller heifer I had been watching closely, but that day no chance to check good. I went Monday to look her up and to late. The calf was almost out and she and the calf were dead. I have four left to calf and a couple not far off. About a month ago I seen the bull after one, so it will be a wait on that one. I still hate losing that one as if it came the day before or the day after her and the calf would be in an upright position.

Here are the 2 I pulled as the Preifert works great as it is me, myself and I.......

z0Sp86R.jpg

We always start out with the first heifer being a problem. We did have stillborn twins about 2 months early, but I don't count that as the first. But, this is the first year in forever that I can remember that first one not being a problem. The guys did pull one, but, it was more because it was getting late and cold and nobody got time to sit around waiting for that. We did have the one in labor that decided to take another heifers calf away instead of having her own. Luckily we were here and were able to get her isolated in the corral. What we have left is, "what is that thing, get it away from me heifer", "the pooper heifer" and the 'overly loving heifer'.....