Hanging Weight v. Live Weight

Help Support CattleToday:

sedrick_hall

Reaction score
I recently butchered an angus/limousin x heifer. Her hanging weight was 670 lbs. What percent of the live weight is the hanging weight?

I think the standard estimated percentage is 60%. But some people figure 63%

We butchered a heifer last spring that weighed 1020 live and 625 hanging , that's about 61% . we usually figure 60% or a little better.

sedrick_hall":2eumjr95 said:
I recently butchered an angus/limousin x heifer. Her hanging weight was 670 lbs. What percent of the live weight is the hanging weight?

60 ish as well - hot rail

Feel free to brag about carcass quality and taste as well when you get her cut up. :lol:

We average 61% though the national average is listed as 62.2%

Brought a steer home yesterday that yielded 505# of meat packages from a 731# hanging steer, not weighing the variety meats.
DMc

Susie David":2revxqp2 said:
We average 61% though the national average is listed as 62.2%

Brought a steer home yesterday that yielded 505# of meat packages from a 731# hanging steer, not weighing the variety meats.
DMc
im not understanding this right,are you saying from a steer thats hanging weight was 731# you brought home 505# of wrapped meat

that sounds about right...ours usually hang between 750-850 lbs and we bring home 500-575 in meat. and we get alot of ground beef (grind up most of the chuck and alot of the round) and boneless but roast. we have our animals butchered usually at 15-18 months.

That is correct....steer hung at 731# and we had 505# in the freezer...not counting liver, heart, tongue, tail, sweetbreads or bones. Right on our average from a 1198# on the hoof.
Got to remember that cows are like people...some are just bigger and some are fatter than others.
We have found that the fatter steers are the lower yielding ones so avoid raising a real fatty.
DMc

Susie David":2xa7alma said:
That is correct....steer hung at 731# and we had 505# in the freezer...not counting liver, heart, tongue, tail, sweetbreads or bones. Right on our average from a 1198# on the hoof.
Got to remember that cows are like people...some are just bigger and some are fatter than others.
We have found that the fatter steers are the lower yielding ones so avoid raising a real fatty.
DMc

that sounds right good yields!!

i have a pretty good market for dog bones as well as the liver heart and tounge so my yeild is slightly higher on the hanging weight to packaged weight. but i figure 60-63% live to hanging.

We sell all of the dog bones from a steer at the Farmer's Market within a couple of hours. $1.50 per pound
Some like to take pictures of "Fluffy" holding a whole leg bone in it's mouth so always have one or two left uncut. Dmc

Latest posts