Hanging tongue

Help Support CattleToday:

Train

Reaction score
We have have a calf here that constantly has her tongue hanging out. She seems perfectly healthy but for this one thing. It's been doing it since day one. Any ideas?

IN all seriousness, If its hot weather where you are at, THAT could be it. I have one cow that seems to overheat more than the rest in the hot summer sun. She is always having her tongue hanging out. No harm, shes a great cow, and produced many good calves. Just keep plenty of water around for them to drink.

It's not a heat thing, that I'm sure of. I lean toward the goofy thing.Maybe a little oxygen deprived at birth? But like I said, she seems to be fine other than the tongue.

i had a labrador retriever like that once. actually, more than once.

My first guess would have been heat also, but you've answered that.

Maybe some sort of injury that prevents her from retracting it all the way? I guess I wouldnt' worry about it if it's not preventing her from eating.

While I have never seen a calf do this other than sick or overheating, I have seen new colts do this. It's like their tounge is to big for their mouth. It usually goes away in a few weeks on the colts that is.

A family member of mine has a horse that constantly hangs its tounge out. They took it to the vet and told her that he wasn't able to breath very well. So that naybe whats wrong with your calf or as someone else on here said it could just be acting goofy

Went to Louisiana Downs last year. A horse in the next to the last race ran the whole race with his tongue dangling out the side of his mouth. Van and I were kind of laughing about it until we saw that horse start to pull ahead. That horse came up from the back and beat the honk outta the rest of them...the whole time with that tongue dangling out of the side of his mouth.

Guess where I'm placing my bet the next time I see a horse with his tongue hanging out.

Alice

Alice":1747xqco said:
Went to Louisiana Downs last year. A horse in the next to the last race ran the whole race with his tongue dangling out the side of his mouth. Van and I were kind of laughing about it until we saw that horse start to pull ahead. That horse came up from the back and beat the honk outta the rest of them...the whole time with that tongue dangling out of the side of his mouth.

Guess where I'm placing my bet the next time I see a horse with his tongue hanging out.

Alice

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that some racehorses have their tongue tied down for the races??

Pooog1":ofr4wrg9 said:
Alice":ofr4wrg9 said:

Alice

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that some racehorses have their tongue tied down for the races??

I wouldn't have a clue about that.

Alice

Latest posts