Hanging barrel mineral Feeder

Help Support CattleToday:

We used to use the barrels for minerals hangers but it is hard on the shade trees. Lot of minerals get knocked out or maybe it is the cows standing there and compressing the ground . I would guess that over 80% of those trees we used have died in the last 10 years . I thought I would just mention that- it may be just in our case but that was how it turned out for us. bc

Growing up we had suspended mineral feeders under shade trees and never had 1 die as a matter of fact they are still living today.

skyhightree1":t9szm9dp said:
Growing up we had suspended mineral feeders under shade trees and never had 1 die as a matter of fact they are still living today.
If they happen to be hanging from the only shade in the pasture the trees will die but it isn;t form the inerals, it's from the cattle damaging the roots.

skyhightree1":1new87hd said:
gotcha... I was thinking of hanging the barrel from a cross brace of the fence
It has to be able to rotate with the wind to keep the minerals from getting rained on. Also, if there is asolid object too close the solid object will become movable in pretty short order. The calves do enjoy waiting till their momma has their head in the barrel and then wacking it making the cow jump half out of her skin so it has to be able to be reached from all sides.

Make sure to put the hanger close to the rear of the top (the furthest from the hole)

will do i am gonna put some sweet feed in there and see if they can get there heads in there before mounting it. we aresupposed to get 4 days of rain so probably wont do that test till rain stops.

Latest posts