Hang time

Help Support CattleToday:

S and D Reds

Reaction score
How long do you like for a side to hang? What is the longest you would want? What is the minimum? My dad says to hang them 'til they sweat but I would like to have a day number.

Our local butcher hung them for a minimum of a week up to three weeks if he had the cooler space.

It needs a good fat cover for a long hang time. Your butcher will have the answer. I would go for a min. of 14 days if you can.

We only hang ours for 7 days, and I haven't ever gotten any complaints. The butcher we go to says he'll hang them longer but if its not good by 7 days its not very good beef.

It's a fact, aging beef goes way back. The best way to make tough beef more tender.
No need to age fed [choice and prime] US beef 13-16 months of age more then 10 days.
More the aging the more waste. Beef aged 2 weeks will require extra work and waste in trimming.

There is an easy formula, based on the difference in the process between cold and hot weather.
Beef needs to hang in 45 degrees Celsius/days; this means that if it is 45c, one day is good, 22,5c two days, 15c three days, 5c nine days, 1c fortyfive days.

To change these numbers into degrees F someone else might help?

S and D Reds":10lvnjwm said:
How long do you like for a side to hang? What is the longest you would want? What is the minimum? My dad says to hang them 'til they sweat but I would like to have a day number.
Depends on the type of aging you are using????????????

Commercially and your local Kill Floor Bubba it is Wet aging under refrigerated conditions or 32- 34 degrees F with no mention of regulated RH or air velocity (17 days on Average / High - 28 days) (tenderization in the bag)

The Lost Art of Dry Aging (most people dont miss what they never had)

The traditional process not used too widely at the local Bubba plant is whole carcass refrigeration at 32 - 34 degrees F for 21 to 28 days, but with a closely monitored RH between 100% and 85% and an air velocity of 0.5 to 2.5 m/sec.
I imagine your local Joe bob is using wet aging --what a shame as you are missing out on the flavor

edrsimms":10x2uu0m said:
S and D Reds":10x2uu0m said:
Depends on the type of aging you are using????????????

Commercially and your local Kill Floor Bubba it is Wet aging under refrigerated conditions or 32- 34 degrees F with no mention of regulated RH or air velocity (17 days on Average / High - 28 days) (tenderization in the bag)

The Lost Art of Dry Aging (most people dont miss what they never had)

The traditional process not used too widely at the local Bubba plant is whole carcass refrigeration at 32 - 34 degrees F for 21 to 28 days, but with a closely monitored RH between 100% and 85% and an air velocity of 0.5 to 2.5 m/sec.
I imagine your local Joe bob is using wet aging --what a shame as you are missing out on the flavor
I agree -----That's the way Dad did in years past !! :)

S and D Reds":j9j7k5ra said:
How long do you like for a side to hang? What is the longest you would want? What is the minimum?

Depends on the meat and the cooler conditions and what is in the freezer. The longest I have seen is from early November to a mid Febuary thaw. :eek: I do not reccomend that. The shortest I have seen was still warm when it hit the iron skillet. Maybe an hour of hang time. :???: I do not recommned that either. Grandma always said to wait till at least the next day.

TexasBred":2lylnudi said:
crimsoncrazy":2lylnudi said:
One of the old timers around me hangs his til it starts to mold...ha ha

That's where you get that great flavor and tenderness...."aged beef"....

As long as you've got a good layer of fat covering the beef, it doesn't hurt anything to hang until it molds. Cut the mold off and as TexasBred said - great flavor and tenderness!

We went 28 days on this one. Haven't found a piece that was tough yet of a Lim x angus yet. He did have his nuts cut and he had a black hide though. It actually is more tender than store bought. We may go down to 21 days next year on a Lim x Red Poll finished the same way and see what gives.

Latest posts