Handy Mathematical Equation for Hay Producers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this in case anyone didn't already know this.

If the weatherman says there is a 20% chance of rain all you need do is divide the 20 by 10 and this will give you the inches of rain that will fall on your grass as soon as you finish cutting it.

Pretty simple.

M-5":3pv1it8o said:
I'd rather cut on 40% than 20%

Does it look like rain for you guys in the next 12 -20 hours? I hope the moisture goes north of me and I'll be baling tomorrow but I figure if you get rain in the next few hours I'll be fluffing again on Monday.

Jogeephus":2x8lo4cs said:
M-5":2x8lo4cs said:
I'd rather cut on 40% than 20%

Does it look like rain for you guys in the next 12 -20 hours? I hope the moisture goes north of me and I'll be baling tomorrow but I figure if you get rain in the next few hours I'll be fluffing again on Monday.
Giving 60% tomorrow morning and afternoon. Had a few spotty showers around this afternoon. Normal for this time of year.

I am banking on it pulling the moisture north of me but they keep raising the rain chances so I don't know. Hard to know what to do this time of year but the hay needs cutting so I went on and cut it. Sure didn't expect the rain yesterday but that didn't hurt anything.

Another similar formula is, If the Weather Liars says there will X number of days without rain, divide that in half and subtract 1 day.

Course the can't deliver on their promises of rain either. Hell, even I thought we would have gotten some today, but NO!

Jogeephus":lfm4ci5s said:
I am banking on it pulling the moisture north of me but they keep raising the rain chances so I don't know. Hard to know what to do this time of year but the hay needs cutting so I went on and cut it. Sure didn't expect the rain yesterday but that didn't hurt anything.

I can assume you didn't get it wadded up , started around here about lunch and been raining all afternoon. I hope you got it though

M-5":3tlcx7xf said:
Jogeephus":3tlcx7xf said:

I can assume you didn't get it wadded up , started around here about lunch and been raining all afternoon. I hope you got it though

Didn't bale it. I was going to bale and wrap it but instead I just sat down and drank beer and watched it rain. I'll start fluffing again tomorrow.

I hooked the discbine to the tractor 3 weeks ago. Haven't had more that 2 days in a row without rain and temps above 70* since. Heck its only 51* today and I have the furnace turned on.

chevytaHOE5674":2i5jqcbj said:
I hooked the discbine to the tractor 3 weeks ago. Haven't had more that 2 days in a row without rain and temps above 70* since. Heck its only 51* today and I have the furnace turned on.

This weather has been great for the pastures but its been the pits for hay.