Handy Gadget

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime

Reaction score
Abandoned by high transmission line crew when they changed out a pole.

DSC02240.jpg

I wonder if that was used to carry/handle transmission poles. It locked onto the pole and then the boom could pick up the pole by engaging the loop.

The design allows it to tighten down on multiple sized pole diameters.

Bright Raven said:
I wonder if that was used to carry/handle transmission poles. It locked onto the pole and then the boom could pick up the pole by engaging the loop.

The design allows it to tighten down on multiple sized pole diameters.
That would be my guess, or when putting in a new pole to attach to the top of the old pole so the old pole could be pulled out of the ground by a crane.

That doesn't belong to the power crew. I left it when we were down there working. Thanks for taking care of it. I will pick it up next week.

JMJ Farms said:
That doesn't belong to the power crew. I left it when we were down there working. Thanks for taking care of it. I will pick it up next week.
Well, you're 1/2 right. Doesn't belong to the crew anymore...

greybeard said:
JMJ Farms said:
Well, you're 1/2 right. Doesn't belong to the crew anymore...
That's for sure. Lucky for them I didn't run over it and tear something up. You could make a living picking up behind these guys. That thing must weigh twenty pounds.

Only thing they ever left me was a crapload of twisted up power cable and a China made machete that I found via a flat tire.

My kids are exactly like that set tools down, and walk off. Set things on the 4 wheeler, and drive off. Countlees pairs of Klein linemans pliers have been lost by them. I never have paid them to work, I am threatening to start charging them for lessons.

Bigfoot said:
My kids are exactly like that set tools down, and walk off. Set things on the 4 wheeler, and drive off. Countlees pairs of Klein linemans pliers have been lost by them. I never have paid them to work, I am threatening to start charging them for lessons.

Don't be too harsh. Wait until you are a few years older. You will be doing the same thing!

Once a man, twice a child.

Looks like it could be a really old pole band. Clamped to the pole and the loop on the one side for guying or deadening to the pole. But that's just a WAG really.

Silver said:
Looks like it could be a really old pole band. Clamped to the pole and the loop on the one side for guying or deadening to the pole. But that's just a WAG really.

Could be, but it was in a line of support posts, not any kind of pull or turn post. It's galvanized steel, with some rust spots on it, so it's been around awhile. I greased it up good with 303 oil.

Silver said:

It well could be for attaching a guy wire.