Handling semen and embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
We just purchased a liquid nitrogen tank (CT20). We charged it yesterday.

When charging a tank with straws already in it, is there a concern for the liquid nitrogen to get directly on the straws?

We will be storing embryos in this tank. Is there anything that we need to do different with embryos?

Our vet has stored our straws up until now. We have had a shipper only. The process is not completely foreign to us but first time we have been responsible.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":v4cp891k said:
When charging a tank with straws already in it, is there a concern for the liquid nitrogen to get directly on the straws

It won't hurt them. The most important thing is to monitor the level of the nitrogen so that the tank doesn't go dry.

I wanted to add, I don't know where you get your's filled, but we get ours filled at the local welding place. The cost isn't much, $23.00. We live just south of Sugar Land and don't have anyone to deliver to us anymore. We buy our semen from Bovine Elite in College Station. Good folks there.

but we get ours filled at the local welding place. The cost isn't much, $23.00
Thought this was interesting, our AI company fills our tank for free as needed (I know free isnt free in a sense since we are prob paying for it somehow but anyway). We do buy a large % of our semen through them, so maybe that makes a difference too. Just curious??? :?:

And yes, monitor the level, esp. on a new to you tank. There have been some horror stories of tanks going dry with big $$$ of inventory in them. Our rep just funnels the liq nitro in the tank, wont hurt the straws at all.
Jenna

We got the new tank and a shipper (both completely empty) for $40 at a welding supply. Thought that was very reasonable.

Chippie, do you know of any one who delivers semen and supplies in the Houston area?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Our ABS fills ours and charges me a yearly fee ($100). He fills it about every 90 to 120 days, depending on if we are in it a bunch or not. We buy semen from ABS, Genex, Select Sires, and anywhere else we want.

Latest posts