Handling facilities

Help Support CattleToday:

sros990

Reaction score
What cattle handling facilities are needed (if any) to graze 2-3 cows from May-October? Would the person I sell the cows to in the fall generally have the necessary equipment to load the cows on trucks?

Thanks
Steve

1. I don't think you really need all that much, just a holding pen, and a laneway with a chute at the end. Even then you don't really need a chute if your just going to haul them in a trailer.

2. You'll just have to ask/find out from the person your selling them to. In other words, that ain't really for you to worry about.

I agree, You do need a way to handle them. Even with 2 or 3 you still will need to treat them from time to time.

sros990":3vhjzgnd said:
Would the person I sell the cows to in the fall generally have the necessary equipment to load the cows on trucks?

Thanks
Steve

Generally speaking, the facilities needed to load out cattle are provided by the seller, and it would depend on whether the person you sold them to had a stock trailer or a farm truck with a stock rack. In the first scenario, you would need to have an alley way leading to a gate to load them in the trailer, or the means to set up panels to 'funnel' them into the trailer. In the second scenario, you would need a loading chute that was about the same level as the bed of the truck to load them.

The seller usually has the facilities to load out the cattle.
The quality of the pens necessary is dependent on the cattle you want to load. I have seen cattle loaded with as little as 4 gates erected in the middle of a pasture with a feed trough in the middle. Two corner gates are opened up to form the chute to trailer.
You really should build these before ever getting the cows.
For so few cows you may want to check with a neighbor that already has pens set up. Put a gate between your places and drive your cows to his pens.

Latest posts