Handling Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
This may explain why I hear producers who say they would rather take a beating than handle their cattle.

2u6lpj4.jpg

Bright Raven":1sc13ggo said:
This may explain why I hear producers who say they would rather take a beating than handle their cattle.

2u6lpj4.jpg

That can't happen here. Happened one time and we fixed that.
Neighbors Char tore in last week and got his butt whipped. Then he wanted to show his butt. By the time the neighbor got over here with the trailer he had figured out all rearing up in the chute did was cause a severe headache.

I can relate to that picture. I borrowed the SO4 chute from our GCA chapter and had the county extension agent helping - teaching me the proper way to work cows. I shut the gate before the cow had her head through and she went back and up. Then she tipped the chute over sideways on the door side of course. I still have a few problems working calves but we pretty much own the cows anymore.

If we had a cow do that, she would NEVER get a second chance thru the chute. I have closed the chute a few times before they had their head all the way through and the most they did was back up and then not want to come forward again.

One thing I have found. We have the chute either permanently "attached" like the one in the barn so there is no way they could ever tip it without tearing down the barn. But for the portable ones, they have a FLOOR in them. The cow cannot tip it if she is standing on the floor. And there are 2 bars over the top at about 1 foot intervals, half way and then closer to the head catch, so they can't go "up". So although she can hit that head catch hard and move the chute forward a bit, she cannot go up and she cannot tip it over. We chain it to a post in the back where it is along a wall or a fence so it can't be lunged forward too much.

If the shoot was made right that would not have happened.
Shows they don't have to be Brahman to do something stupid, black cows can mess-up also.

Cattle will find the weakest link in your system , if not this time , next time . That picture tickles the be nice out of me though , for some reason . Overhead restraint is just as important as any .

Wow.

Watched a video the other day of an exotic type bull jumping what they said was a 7 foot fence. Where there is a will, there is a way i reckon.

Not what you wanna see, but not the biggest deal either. Just back em off, regroup, and get back to work.
Cows is cows, it's up to the handler to be the brains.