Handling a Semi Load of DDG

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a semi load of dried distillers grain for supplement. Any suggestions on efficient low cost handling?

(My old feed room only holds 3 tons and I use 5 gallon pails from there to the bunks. I do have an empty grain bin but it is not close by. I have also thought about buying a used hopper...)

Thanks for the help.

Steve, if you are getting a deal on it, I'd rent a bagger, and buy a few loads, bag it up to feed through the winter. I just have an old cement pad where a garage used to be, put bales on two sides have the truck pull through and dump, and put bales on the back side. Then I can pull up to the open side with the loader to scoop it up to fill the feed wagon. It keeps real well in the winter. In the summer I put a tarp over it to keep the rain and sun off. It is good inexpensive feed.

Stocker Steve":1n0phmqg said:
I am planning to buy a semi load of dried distillers grain for supplement. Any suggestions on efficient low cost handling?

(My old feed room only holds 3 tons and I use 5 gallon pails from there to the bunks. I do have an empty grain bin but it is not close by. I have also thought about buying a used hopper...)

Thanks for the help.

dump it in the bin and just haul it down with the truck, it will cake up if you plan on taking it out with an auger, will work but you need the sweep to really run well or get a load out before it get's a chance to set up. take a bin sheet out and use that to crawl in and out unless your bin has a door on it.

It may not remain "inexpensive" as I attended class last month with several from Kansas who work in the feed lots and they've switched to that feed and say its done very well in fattening them up.

MoGal":2j3u0hce said:
It may not remain "inexpensive" as I attended class last month with several from Kansas who work in the feed lots and they've switched to that feed and say its done very well in fattening them up.

DDGs make a great protein supplement for cows, them in a mix with soyhull along with a mineral pacakge in the mix grows out calves great, it puts flesh and muscle on them. Be careful on the amount you feed them, DO NOT feed free choice straight DDGs, you WILL have a thyamien defficiency and kill cattle!!!

the best way to store brewers grain is on a concrete slabb.i wouldnt put it in a bin b/c that stuff stays hotter than fire.an when your loading it you can see steam rising from it.lest ways it stay hot like that when we fed it.scott

bigbull338":cdn3fg84 said:
the best way to store brewers grain is on a concrete slabb.i wouldnt put it in a bin b/c that stuff stays hotter than fire.an when your loading it you can see steam rising from it.lest ways it stay hot like that when we fed it.scott

DDGs won't do that... they don't get hot unless you get them wet, cover your entrance with a tarp if it's spose to rain and you'll be fine... or just scoop the wasted out and let the flies have it. DDgs are just the corn and milo biproduct, it's going to store in a similiar manner as the parent product. It's a VERY dry substance and doesn't take any special handling.

Latest posts