Handiest thing I've bought in a long time.

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
Back this spring I was at Lowe's looking for a pole saw to trim some trees by the house. I was planning to get an electric one, but while looking I got to talking to another customer who said his son had bought a battery operated one, and it worked well. It wasn't that much more expensive than the electric ones, so I decided to try it. I've been very happy with it.

I've also used it to trim low-hanging limbs out in the pasture so I can get under them to mow. It has a little 8" bar, but I don't want to be cutting anything bigger than that up over my head anyway. The battery holds up a lot longer than I had expected too, and it's not heavy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...ectric-Pole-Saw-1-Battery-Included/1000730346

I have a GreenWorks battery powered pole saw that I also really like. If you will only use it a couple times a year, I think battery powered are the way to go. I also have a GreenWorks battery powered line trimmer for the yard that is awesome; only use it 1 or 2 times per month so I only have to charge it a couple times per year. thinking of getting a battery powered chain saw for going around fences also.

I have a battery powered stihl regular chainsaw. As Chris mentioned it is fantastic for cleaning out fence lines. I say that because its lightweight enough to handle with one hand and can be safely set down to drag back a limb without having to restart it over and over.

If you are a gung ho young kid, you will need two batteries, but for us older folks, one charge will last as long as I want.

That does look handy. I've been cutting branches along some roadsides and areas where I can mow. That would have come in handy. How long does the battery last, and does it work at full power for most of that time?

Hard to say on battery life since everytime you take your finger off the throttle it is no longer running. But between cutting and start king the brush I would say about an hour of working. Also good if you happen to be in a loader bucket or on a ladder, you don't have to pull on a rope to start it.

Answer to Hero. Yes the saw works full strength until your battery is out of juice. One of the fine qualities of Lithium.

One thing I love about the saw is not having to worry about ethanol in the fuel and not having to worry about the fuel if I don't use the saw for a few weeks.

They seem to make them all like that now, I have an older ryobi one battery pole pruner, it is basically a recip saw on a pole with a large pruning blade.

It has done an unbelievable amount of work over 10 years plus, including friends borrowing it.

The battery life even with one of the small batteries is very long, I am unsure why they now only seem to have this style which has more moving parts and much larger, maybe cause they can sell more stuff like chains, sharpeners and oil, it also has to have more resistance.

Have batt chainsaw and electric and petrol, but I would use this pruner first on most things, the least used would be batt chainsaw, which has prob not had any use in 5 years.....I may be more inclined to use an actual recip saw for low pruning now as I have one of them.

Bumping this one back up, since it's been 3 or 4 months.
Gotta prune up lower limbs on something like 400 20 yr old pecans and black walnuts in a CRP riparian bufferstrip planting... I'm tired of 'em smacking me in the face, trying to sweep me off the tractor into the bush-hog, and bending the exhaust on the tractor. Most will be less than 3 inch diameter, but some may be a bit larger.
Will also be used to prune up riding trails through the woods.

If you look at 'best pole saw of 2020' reviews, the recommendations are all over the board... but most are from folks trimming a limb or two in their back yard; not folks working on a farm or in the woods on a regular basis.

Gas or electric better?
Anybody wanna recommend a specific make or model... or ones to stay away from?

Bumping this one back up, since it's been 3 or 4 months.
Gotta prune up lower limbs on something like 400 20 yr old pecans and black walnuts in a CRP riparian bufferstrip planting... I'm tired of 'em smacking me in the face, trying to sweep me off the tractor into the bush-hog, and bending the exhaust on the tractor. Most will be less than 3 inch diameter, but some may be a bit larger.
Will also be used to prune up riding trails through the woods.

If you look at 'best pole saw of 2020' reviews, the recommendations are all over the board... but most are from folks trimming a limb or two in their back yard; not folks working on a farm or in the woods on a regular basis.

Gas or electric better?
Anybody wanna recommend a specific make or model... or ones to stay away from?

For what you described I'd go with battery operated, and get an extra battery. I trimmed up a bunch of low hanging limbs up to probably 6" diameter on pecan and post oak trees with mine.

I got a 40v kobalt from laws. Less than $200, and seems to last as long as I'd really like to work. I put a roll of hay on a tongue wagon, setting upended like a soda pop can sits. I set on the roll of hay, and cut down. Seldom pinch a blade that way, and limbs aren't falling near me. Gotta be honest though.......I have my kids drag the limbs off.

I know that I have lived and worked in a different world than the rest of you. But if it runs off a battery is it really a chain saw?

My nephew comes out each year with his to cut brush & limbs at all our tree stands. It lasts all day - not used "non-stop". Going from tree stand to tree stand. One has a weed eater, have a chain saw & the elec trimmer. Very, very handy.

Latest posts