Hand sprayers

Help Support CattleToday:

jcummins

Reaction score
I have used three types.

30 gal pressure with a 12v pump…..this sprayer works great.

Hand pump up pressure sprayers…..I have had several of these, cheap and expensive, and every single one of them crapped out, many times in the hand valve. I've taken them apart, blew air through them, fixed them only to see them totally fail again.

Trigger type like a windex bottle……I've used cheap ones, expensive ones, and all sort of ones from bottles of other stuff we've bought and used up. It seems when I go to use them after not being used for awhile, they never work. I suspect the sprayers need to be flushed with water after use….but that's exactly the opposite way I need to use the trigger ones.

Over this last year I've done a fair amount of spraying for thistles, and cactus. I'm now moving to more of a maintenance mode, and using the 12v sprayer shouldn't be as necessary. The pump up hand sprayers have kind of been displaced by the 12v sprayer. I need to carry in my UTV small bottles of different mixs when I come across something I missed, or hit the cows with fly spray. I really need the trigger type to work for this. But I've tried everything, and it seems they routinely bite the dust after short periods of use, in particular after they have sat awhile.

Anybody got an answer?

Been there too!

The Gilmore, etc., brands of "consumer duty" hand pump sprayers should be considered "disposable" units. All sprayers should always be flushed with clean water after use.

We've found that the "Solo" brand (contractor grade) hand pump sprayers to be the best...little pricey, but replacement parts are available on internet. Quality sprayers are usually available form places like Ben Meadows Company, Forestry Suppliers, etc.

The mass marketed units (usually under $25.) are basically "limited use homeowner type".

My irrigation sprayer works about the best. In addition to the boom, it has a wand with a hand valve and recirc mode. The hose is about 30 foot long so it can be put through the bed of the truck and into the truck cab for spot spray. Or pulled behind the 4 wheeler etc. It is a small unit with a max capacity of 160 gallons. The small capacity makes it cumbersome for pasture spraying but ideal for spot spraying.

Get a Stihl backpack for around $100. I've used one extensively for several years. Flawless operation. Better than Solo.

Ask friends and relatives to save their 409, Windex, and all that those squirt bottles cleaning products come in for you. When one craps out grab another one. All you have to do is carry the "squirters" to change out when one goes bad.

1982vett":1qlpehse said:
Ask friends and relatives to save their 409, Windex, and all that those squirt bottles cleaning products come in for you. When one craps out grab another one. All you have to do is carry the "squirters" to change out when one goes bad.

I've kind of been doing that. :? ...I wish there was a way to clean these up and make them work again.

As to the other suggestions, I'm sure those are excellence sprayers....but that's not my target use. Basically i want to carry three or so spray bottles with different substances in them all the time.

Go to Dollar General and buy the $2 spray bottles. You'll need rubber gloves when you use them because they'll leak down the front and sides from the spray nozzle. After you use them a while you'll have to shake them to get them primed if they're not completely full when you start spraying.

If its me spraying I have a 12V sprayer with a 20 gal tank on a trailer... behind a riding mower.

If its people working for me they get the hand held kind because they can go thru way too much chemical with a 12V if they get careless.

We also have a trailer that goes behind the tractor with 3 hoses so people can walk behind it.

We have a rig that we built that goes on the back of our JD Gator. We can spray up to 20 feet wide, or can spray with a wand (spot spray) if we choose. If you want to go with 12v, go to Southern States. They have some good equipment for spraying.

Latest posts