hand posthole diggers

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the joysticks on a CAT machine best but if you must-I assume you mean the ones that scissor at the bottom. I like them they take a few minutes to get used to but you can clean out a really deep hole with them. They also close up pretty tight so when the dirt is really dry it doesn't run out the bottom as bad. The hinge on them wears pretty fast( a hundred holes or so which may be a while for most people) but even with slop in it they work well. Otherwise the heaviest pair I can find and if I am sure of no underground electric I have a couple pairs with pipe handles. They last the rest are pretty temporary. True tempers seem to hold up about as good as any I have found. Don't worry the heater works on all of them!

I bought a pair fence recommended. Best I ever used. Sent me a link, and I can't find it now. Maybe he'll show up.

I have a pair of heavy, all steel with straight blade and about 30 degree kick on the ends. Then the standard wooden handle clam shell. Both of these hinge at the bottom like normal diggers I have used all my life. I have recently seen and curious. I am digging post holes in my neighbor hood and before I bought the house there was a reroute done on the plumbing. SO while I would love to dig with the auger on the tractor, I think doing these by hand makes more sense

saltbranch":dltyvfno said:
I have a pair of heavy, all steel with straight blade and about 30 degree kick on the ends. Then the standard wooden handle clam shell. Both of these hinge at the bottom like normal diggers I have used all my life. I have recently seen and curious. I am digging post holes in my neighbor hood and before I bought the house there was a reroute done on the plumbing. SO while I would love to dig with the auger on the tractor, I think doing these by hand makes more sense

Yes that's the style I thought you meant. Like I said they work good but not industrial grade like what fence posted.

saltbranch":ihhtb5oq said:

Bought a pair like those not long ago and gave the old one to my boy. I also have the auger type that doesn't get used very often.

saltbranch":1c6v4sfu said:
Emphasis on the 'heavy' part, if they're like the ones I have, and a bit of a learning curve since the extra hinge/pivot point means moving the ends of the handles together closes the clamshell instead of opening it like traditional diggers do. I bit awkward if you have sandy soil on top and use the regular lighter wooden handle ones for that and the heavy double jointed ones for the hard clay down deeper..for me anyway. They do allow you to dig a little deeper without having to widen to top of the hole for handle clearance tho.

saltbranch":f9c8091f said:
Sounds good, I will just keep what I have then. Dang I hate these things
Thanks for the info

I was at a farm auction last weekend.
They had a pile of posthole digger's and old San Angelo bars. The auctioneer knows me well and hollers how much on em fence...I says what the he// you think I'm gonna do with those dam things.

I still use a SA bar in my area, but to cut roots not rocks. Getting a PTO auger's edge hung up under a big pine root ain't fun.