Hand Held Pump Sprayers

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I'm on my third one this season and now it's failed. Using diesel and Permethrin and mixing 5 gal at a time and they only last a couple of weeks. I can't really tell if they are forming a leak or something is going on with the pump itself, just can't get pressure. Haven't had this problem till now.

slick4591":23pv7ech said:
I'm on my third one this season and now it's failed. Using diesel and Permethrin and mixing 5 gal at a time and they only last a couple of weeks. I can't really tell if they are forming a leak or something is going on with the pump itself, just can't get pressure. Haven't had this problem till now.

I had same issue but im no expert but believe that the diesel eats up the seals in it or something. I opted for a 70 dollar 15gallon 12v sprayer with a wand and once I finished the diesel and perm spray or diesel and burnt motor oil I would run dawn and water through it to clean it out a full tank.

Diesel causes the rubber to swell
Look for one with viton seals
Viton is more resistantant to petroleum

Wash it out including the inside of the pump with Dawn and warm water as soon as you finish

Figures. I was thinking the oil in the diesel would keep the seals lubricated. Guess I shouldn't have thought that, huh? Thanks for the info.

callmefence":2lg4qya1 said:
I've had good luck with the roundup brand sprayers. I don't spray much diesel though

For business and yard that what I use and love them only issue I had was if you over tighten too much the seal splits

For Roundup sprayers you can buy a repair kit. Cost $7. Almost as much as the sprayer costs but is worth it if the sprayer is full of spray when problem occurs.

Its according to how your using it but I have drilled a hole in the top pulled a valve stem in it and use air tank to pressure it and then spray till air is gone . If im using it on the Kubota I will attach a 10$ vehicle tire pump to it and it keeps plenty of pressure to spray.

Farmgirl":bkjg7xqf said:
For Roundup sprayers you can buy a repair kit. Cost $7. Almost as much as the sprayer costs but is worth it if the sprayer is full of spray when problem occurs.

I got one of those plastic sink drain things and cut a seal out and kept going

I had the same problem. When using remedy for mesuites I switched to vegetable oil mix, havent had a problem since, even with the cheap harbor freight back pack sprayer.

callmefence":17764cuq said:
I've had good luck with the roundup brand sprayers. I don't spray much diesel though

I've been using one for two years now with diesel and permethrin to charge back rubs, yet to wash it out and it's still clucking along. Now that I've said that, it'll never work again.

Also have one that I mix diesel and used motor oil (50/50) in to spray off bush hogs, manure spreaders, etc with before putting them up for the season.

I had great luck with them until this year. The one I used for several years gave out. The new ones are the ones I'm having a problem with. I dug an old one out of the back of the storage building and it worked fine a few days ago. I'll try it again towards the end of the week.

This time of the year there will be no less than three sprayers on my truck. One gallon of tordon x remedy . And a pair of two gallons with nothing but water. When it really gets dry I mount a 25 gallon 12 volt sprayer and a 3 gallon backpack for every man on site.
Been eyeing the new battery powered backpack s.. anyone used them

No on the battery powered backpacks, but found to my dismay this week, that my 4 gal manual operated backpack has split a 2" long crack in the seam and I got my backside and thighs soaked in RM-43 (Gly+Imazapyr) :(

Fixed it for now with JBWeld applied inside the sprayer and outside, but dunno if it's going to hold or not. AND, one of the shoulder **** straps has rotted/disintegrated and it never saw a night stored outside. Only a couple years old too. :mad: :mad: :bang: :bang:

We have five or six smaller pump sprayers. Most have something wrong with them. Seem to get a year from them at the very best. Range from roundup brand to cheap brand, all of which look mostly identical.

This spring I bought a Husqvarna branded hand pump sprayer. It was maybe $30. By far the nicest small sprayer i've owned yet. Its very thick plastic. Heavier duty everything. I would definitely buy again. Its a 2 or 3 gallon.

Latest posts