Hand Held Augers

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I have a chance to do some bartering for one of those Hand Held augers, it has a Honda Motor (forget size) and a 12" Auger bit for it. It is the model that takes two people to use it.

Are these things worth anything? Wondering how good they work? We have some rocky areas but most of time you can dig a hole with normal post hole diggers.

The only time I used a handheld power auger. It went
in the ground like a screw.( It was heavy clay soil).
Had to get a pipe wrench back it out.

aplusmnt":1b0b37sz said:
I have a chance to do some bartering for one of those Hand Held augers, it has a Honda Motor (forget size) and a 12" Auger bit for it. It is the model that takes two people to use it.

Are these things worth anything? Wondering how good they work? We have some rocky areas but most of time you can dig a hole with normal post hole diggers.

Man killers they aint worth a pinch of dried up monkey dung.

Caustic Burno":kn43p4or said:
aplusmnt":kn43p4or said:

Man killers they aint worth a pinch of dried up monkey dung.

Guess I will pass then, hate to clean a bunch of human dung, just to get something not worth a pinch of dried monkey dung.

Thanks!

Well, I'm going to disagree with some people hear, I bought a single man auger last year. It has a 50 cc engine on it and a 8" auger. I think it does a heck of a good job. I can auger out a 8" hole 4 feet deep in less than a minute most of the time. But if the soil is bone dry your in for a work out. The soil on my place in Nebraska is clay and if there is some moisture in it that auger works great.

But (theres always a but) would I rather have a 3 point auger on a tractor, sure I would, just can't afford it. That auger beats the heck out of digging them by hand.

If I'm putting corner posts in I just hand dig the 8" hole larger. It has saved me a lot of time in the past year and will this year also. I think the auger and engine assembly cost me $260.00 delivered to my door.

NOPLCLKNEB":32vljky9 said:
Well, I'm going to disagree with some people hear, I bought a single man auger last year. It has a 50 cc engine on it and a 8" auger. I think it does a heck of a good job. I can auger out a 8" hole 4 feet deep in less than a minute most of the time. But if the soil is bone dry your in for a work out. The soil on my place in Nebraska is clay and if there is some moisture in it that auger works great.

But (theres always a but) would I rather have a 3 point auger on a tractor, sure I would, just can't afford it. That auger beats the heck out of digging them by hand.

If I'm putting corner posts in I just hand dig the 8" hole larger. It has saved me a lot of time in the past year and will this year also. I think the auger and engine assembly cost me $260.00 delivered to my door.

Buy one you have to be kidding make one out of a car rear end heck made mine right after they invinted dirt.

Hand held do one of two things 99 percent of the time in Alabama gumbo. They either screw themselves in the ground or sit on top and spin. There are times when even a tractor mounted one sits on top and spins, you have to use a long timber if you don't have a model with assisted down pressure.

my experince is cant have any rocks, clay, tree roots (and I dont mean saplings) you'll need a digging bar, and a grinder to keep the blade sharp, a little extra water to put in the hole, and some extra backs for when yours gets tired, then your'e ready to go to work

aplusmnt":296743nl said:
I have a chance to do some bartering for one of those Hand Held augers, it has a Honda Motor (forget size) and a 12" Auger bit for it.

Are these things worth anything? Wondering how good they work?

They work great for ice fishing as long as they are sharp. How thick is your ice this year?

pto driven are best but more expensive.the hand held can get into areas you cant get your tractor into but as other posts state they are hard on the body.like anything [toolwise]look at the motor.what hsp is it,how is it cooled [air,water or oil]my freind who passed away last year owned a fence comp. he used a 2 person auger.not sure which brand but his deffinately wasnt a cheap one as he depended on it daily.if youre just going to drill a few post from time to time shouldnt matter much.but if youre planning a large project a commercial application would be best.

Latest posts