Hammer Time! Calves from new Herd Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
4 week old heifer calf from a first calf heifer
Hammer_Heifer_2.JPG

3 week old Heifer calf from a Pure Gold daughter who's also a maternal sib to 552
Hammer_Heifer.JPG

10 day old Bull calf from a Pure Gold daughter
Hammer_Bull.JPG

George

rocket2222":2a4e7ptd said:
They look good George, are these out of the new bull or the keynote.

These are the first three calves I have from the Pounder son that I got from Star Lake.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C25232726202F&9=505F5D

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctorgI3NKJo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctorgI3NKJo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

These pictures were taken about a month ago and I finally downloaded them yesterday. I need to take some more pictures. The bull calf, particularly, has just exploded since this picture was taken. I've had four more since (lost one to dogs), but they are all similar in type.

I've been hoping I wasn't becoming completely "barn blind" because these calves appear to be very close to what my goal is, phenotype-wise. Time will tell, but they are more moderate and much thicker at this age than the Keynotes are. On top of that, I think the bull is going to be a 100% dehorner!

George

those are some fine looking hereford calves.you have the right breeding prograsm going.

Herefords.US":3co9120m said:
rocket2222":3co9120m said:

These are the first three calves I have from the Pounder son that I got from Star Lake.
http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C25232726202F&9=505F5D

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctorgI3NKJo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctorgI3NKJo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

These pictures were taken about a month ago and I finally downloaded them yesterday. I need to take some more pictures. The bull calf, particularly, has just exploded since this picture was taken. I've had four more since (lost one to dogs), but they are all similar in type.

I've been hoping I wasn't becoming completely "barn blind" because these calves appear to be very close to what my goal is, phenotype-wise. Time will tell, but they are more moderate and much thicker at this age than the Keynotes are. On top of that, I think the bull is going to be a 100% dehorner!

George

Barn blind, thats not good, if I was to be real picky for this aged calf, I'd say the 2 Pure Golds could be a little smoother looking through the shoulder, still really nice calves though. Good choice on the bull.

Very nice muscling on the round, always a good sign this early. I have one reservation about them, but I'll wait to see the updated pics before I run my mouth.

George I think they look very nice! I really like that 2nd one. Do you have any new pictures of the bull? Have you crossed him on any of your atlas bull's daughters? How are they?

CPL":24k62waf said:
George I think they look very nice! I really like that 2nd one. Do you have any new pictures of the bull? Have you crossed him on any of your atlas bull's daughters? How are they?

Christian, the heifer in the first picture is out of a Direction daughter - and I have two more Hammer calves out of Direction daughters - and another one out of a granddaughter. They all look about the same.

I can almost guarantee the bull will never look as good as he did in that video again. He's spent the winter up on the place in Eastland and although he came through looking better than the average of the cows, they all came out a little thin because we didn't get enough rain through the winter to jumpstart the wintergrass this year. I should get 15-20 more calves from the Hammer bull this fall depending on how many of the cows he was with that I decide to sell. I plan on culling pretty heavily this year - to make room for the heifers I'm keeping and I've had to put my expansion plans on hold.

George

northtexas":36jbgfu5 said:
>>I've had to put my expansion plans on hold.<<

How come?

Well, it's a little personal, but since you asked....

My wife has some health problems that have rendered her disabled. She can no longer work or even drive. I had left my job LAST May with the idea of finally being able to become a full time rancher and having the security of her job and all its benefits. Then this struck her in October. Our COBRA insurance lasts for another 18 months, but under the present circumstances, it's probably going to be necessary that I return to work as an engineer to make sure we have affordable health insurance. If I go back to work as an engineer, I'm going to cull my herd back to about 20-25 cows, the number I can easily run on my home ranch with no inputs. Frankly, I'm getting too old to keep trying to do everything! Right now any expansion of the cowherd is on hold and we're hoping that the doctors can figure out what's wrong and get it addressed where my wife (and I) can return to a "normal" life. Right now it's necessary that we're together virtually 24/7 and that isn't always ideal for either one of us! :lol:

George

George I am very sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she gets better soon. My prayers are with you.

Very nice calves. I always liked the pounder sons and daughters but some people thought he (pounder) didnt move as free as he should and was passing this on. I never seen anything like this but I am not a very good judge of cattle.

I would love to see a pic of the second one in 6 months. Thanks for sharing. Jay Hudnut.

rocket2222":2oruao7i said:

Sorry to hear your wifes no better. On a lighter note, I just read the title to your post, in my own defense I was on the phone while browsing the forum earlier. :lol:

Latest posts