Hamburger won't stay together

Help Support CattleToday:

wyattbower

Reaction score
I made some patties last night out of our own ground beef and stuck them on the grill. They just crumbled after the first flip. Is there anything I can add (egg, fat, etc...) to the patties to keep them all together?

You can, but should not have to add anything to them. When you put them on the grill, you need to leave them alone until you see that they are about half cooked. Do not mash them, do not touch them, leave them alone. When you see that they are about half cooked (look at the sides), then, and only then, flip them.

If you have a sticking problem, make sure your grill is clean and if needed, spray a little Pam on the grates before cooking.

wyattbower":2yact8va said:
I made some patties last night out of our own ground beef and stuck them on the grill. They just crumbled after the first flip. Is there anything I can add (egg, fat, etc...) to the patties to keep them all together?

You can, but you don't need to - you're not working your patties enough. Work each pattie for several minutes, and they will hold together while cooking them.

You can also try popping the patties back in the fridge a while before grilling. They seem to stay together more while cold. Again, don't mess with them after you put them on the grill until you're ready to flip them. Flip just one time. I also put a little olive oil on my burgers to keep them from getting too dry.

If the meat is extremely lean, you can add some juiciness by doctoring it up with saute'd onion, green pepper, mushrooms, whatever you like. Just precook the veggies until slightly softened, add to the raw meat and mix like meat loaf before you make patties and grill. Working it will help patties hold together as mentioned. These additions will add juice and flavor but not fat. I posted a recipe on here called Fajita Burgers that is tex-mex flavored and my crew loves it.

Latest posts