Hamburger cow

Help Support CattleToday:

If the heifer I put back together last night survives and I can find an appointment she will get butchered. She is looking good, just hasn't got her feet back under her,

If you can find a slot, just make sure if you gave her any kind of antibiotics that the withdrawal period is passed before taking her in. Otherwise they will kill and see the residue and scrap the meat and all you'll get is a kill bill. Hasn't happened to me but know several others that found out the unpleasant way. Maybe it's just the plants out here, idk but better safe than sorry.

I forgot to add what the cow hung up at. She was 704 pounds hanging. I hope they have a scale where I can weigh the burger. Be interesting to see what it works out to.

Where this one is going it will be 100% burger. Last year the processor charged $100 for the kill, $0.79 a pound to cut and wrap, and there was a $20 disposal fee.
Last week's steer = $0.73 a pound complete, kill, cut, grind, wrap ect.
Here all the butchers charge xx cents lb for grinding hamburger, so total pounds of hamburger is listed on the itemized receipt.

Last week I sold a stout Hereford cow - she was processed into all hamburger.
Estimated live weight at 1700-1725 lbs and body condition score 7
970 lb hanging weight
482 lbs of take home hamburger (49.7% of hanging weight)

p.s.
processing $930 for 382 lbs in 1 lb tubes and 100 lbs of 1/3 lb patties
930 divided 482 lbs = 1.93 lb take home cost for processing + $1600 cow
butcher charged $1 lb extra to make the 100 lbs of patties
830 divided by 482 = $1.73 per lb in tubes $2.73 lb as patties
sold the cow for $1,600 = 1.65 lb hanging weight
1700 lb cow x 94 cents lb lw = 1600
1600 divided by 482 lbs = 3.32 lb take home + processing

Bottom line:
At only 1.65 lb h.w. it still isn't cheap to grind it all into hamburger
$5.05 lb hamburger in tubes and $6.05 lb as patties

Last edited:
Kill dates are a dime a dozen here for anytime before August. I called in April to get one in and it was about 3 weeks out, mostly b/c of me. I called in March for one in October and they had a lot of dates already spoken for.

We got 4 dates confirmed for 2023..... and they said they basically have nothing else and they could put us on a cancellation list... If they weren't so close I think I would start to patronize another one... but 10 min as opposed to over an hour is a BIG difference. These guys do a good job... but they have not been sticking with those of us that stuck with them when they first got started and it makes you a little mad that you can't get the general dates that you have had for years.

I got an appointment about a month ago for early August,gave them the window I was hoping for and that date was towards the end of it but fit my time line well. I need to call and cancel the other appointment. I don't know what happened but they messed up my hamburger so I called where I had been going.

Latest posts