Halter placement on mules?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We own a mule that needs a little work on his ground manners. Before I start working with him I've seen/heard a couple different ways/position the nose band sets across the nose. I've heard for mules or donkeys two fingers above the nostrils and I've seen half way up. Both by different trainers. What are your thoughts?

Wrap the nose band in a chain, and snap your lead rope in both ends of the chain (hope that's clear). Definitely get it up off his nose. He gets in your space, moves when he should be stil, snap the lead rope.
Also, a nuke needs to learn patience. I'd hobble him, tack em out, and let him stay tied for a long long time.

We own a mule that needs a little work on his ground manners. Before I start working with him I've seen/heard a couple different ways/position the nose band sets across the nose. I've heard for mules or donkeys two fingers above the nostrils and I've seen half way up. Both by different trainers. What are your thoughts?
Just curious, what type of work will you be using him for?

When I was younger we had a neighbor that did not have a tractor and used mules for everything. He let me plow with them a couple of times. Walking behind a set of mules plowing new ground is rough even on young ankles.

My son broke him to ride then he went to some friends for a year and I think they let him get away with poor manners. My wife's been riding him this fall on some trail rides and he does good but needs to be finished off. On the ground he'll try to lead you . Pushy.

My son broke him to ride then he went to some friends for a year and I think they let him get away with poor manners. My wife's been riding him this fall on some trail rides and he does good but needs to be finished off. On the ground he'll try to lead you . Pushy.
You've probably been around mules and had mules. I was a mule man for 20 years. In general, a mule is always on the lookout for a bad habit. The quicker you can correct a behavior with a mule, the better off you are. The actual problem is, that they are one of the most intelligent animals you'll ever lay your hands on. They understand pressure and release.......but they apply it to you, instead of the other way around. I don't care if it takes hours, make a mule do what you want him to. Never show him fear, and never step aside for him.

Sounds cruel, but depending on how pushy he is, I might throw him. Might even cast him a few days in a row. They love a pecking order. Let know you peck on him, he don't peck on you.

You've probably been around mules and had mules. I was a mule man for 20 years. In general, a mule is always on the lookout for a bad habit. The quicker you can correct a behavior with a mule, the better off you are. The actual problem is, that they are one of the most intelligent animals you'll ever lay your hands on. They understand pressure and release.......but they apply it to you, instead of the other way around. I don't care if it takes hours, make a mule do what you want him to. Never show him fear, and never step aside for him.

Sounds cruel, but depending on how pushy he is, I might throw him. Might even cast him a few days in a row. They love a pecking order. Let know you peck on him, he don't peck on you.
Your advice reminds me of the story of "Balaam's donkey" donkey and not a mule, but still.....

I am not sure a nose band would help all that much with ground manners ? If what i am thinking is what your talking about. When you say nose band i am thinking its main purpose is to keep the mule from throwing its head up. The nose band has a strap attached to the bottom of the nose strap and is attached at the other end of the strap to the front gert ? If that is what your talking about ?

It has been a long time since i have order any tach from Steve Edwards of Queen Valley ranch i think in Airzona.

But he did have a web site that you could order tach, saddles, training videos, etc...,

I think you can even ask questions like what you ask on here and someone will give you a reply.

I have been to some of his clinics, even hosted one for him. Mules is all he works with. Has a college type school to teach people how to train mules. His main emphasis on training mules is ground work, ground work, and more ground work.

The main peace or tach or you could call it his tool that is used to do that ground work with is a wax coated peace of 1/2 inch rope with a braided loop on one end of it. Like a pig & tail calf that calf ropers use to tie hoays, probably have spelt or said that wrong. Anyway i bet if a calf roper reads this they will know what i am talking about.

Steve Edwards calls that rope a come along. But whatever you do. If you try to make your own or watch one the training videos using the come along. Never put it on a horse, mule or other type of animal and tie it up. In anyway shape or manner.

The way the come along works is by tightening down around the bridge of the nose, under its chin, at the pole behind the animals ears where the head attaches to its neck. All of these points are full of nerves, tendons that call mame if not kill a 1000 lb mule or horse. Bigger or smaller than a 1000 lb. If that animal has this on its head and is tied solid at the other end to a traier or tree etc....,

Its a great tool for teaching a mule ground manners if you know how to use it right.

I have used what they call a running w on mules to through them if they got out of hand. But in the long run i think throwing a mule or horse does more harm to the animals sociological end than any good that comes from it.

Just like Big Foot has said mules are smarter than most people i know. So its been my experience when dealing with Mr long ears you gain alot more ground with him patients and diplomacy !!! Lol !!! Of course this is all just my opinion for what it is worth.

One more thing Steve Edwards come along is similiar if not the same thing as what the Calvary used to call a war bridle.

One more thing i forgot to mention. That come along rope is about 10 or 15 foot long.

@Bigfoot what do you mean when you say "throw him" or "cast him". I have no experience with mules.

Thanks.

I have zero experience with mules, but I will say that gently laying a horse down can dramatically change their outlook on things.

Have you used a war bridle before ?
No but many moons ago when I was a kid some of the old timer's were skilled at using them. They looked exactly like the Cavalry models with pulleys and rope configuration.

Latest posts