Halter breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

johndeereboy

Reaction score
This year I bought some cows that were gonna calve. They have calved now, and I want to get a halter on them. They are anywhere from 1-4 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone could guide me through this process (i have never done this before). Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

johndeereboy":30klbjo9 said:
This year I bought some cows that were gonna calve. They have calved now, and I want to get a halter on them. They are anywhere from 1-4 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone could guide me through this process (i have never done this before). Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would start know gentleing them. Walk through the pasture, let them see you pet the momma, them slowly start trying to touch them.Don't stress them out buy trying to catch them. It will only scare them. I think i think theyare too young to have a halter on them. Wait till they are 3+ monthes old. plus them when they hollar there mommas won't kill you completly ;-) . My little steer calf that i bottle feed is now 4 monthes old well he will be on may 2 but anyway i weaned him at 2 monthes{ i know early but he made it} and turned him lose in the yard for 1/2 month then caught him and broke him then turned him lose again and know he will walk just fine.. take it slow and easy and enjoy them watching them. if they are close to the house let them see you and get used to you. good luck !!!keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE use the search function. I am absolutely SICK of talking about halter breaking. Your situation is not unique. SEARCH.

*Cowgirl*":1xxzpz99 said:
PLEASE use the search function. I am absolutely SICK of talking about halter breaking. Your situation is not unique. SEARCH.

hummm that is not really nice... he seems new at cows and every situation with cows is unique in its own way.

cow_crazy_101":2i85426v said:
*Cowgirl*":2i85426v said:

hummm that is not really nice... he seems new at cows and every situation with cows is unique in its own way.
How many time in the past month has someine started a thread about halter breaking/getting started?

Why even have a search function if it is not utilized. Iv'e got nothing against johndeereboy. But scroll down the page and see how many threads have to do with halter breaking.

*Cowgirl*":18jv2cwp said:
holy crap settle down. if you dont like it so much then dont read the post that says "halter breaking". :roll: and im with karlton, theres not that many. only mine and thats a totally diferent situation. and truthfully i think its a good thing posting about this. each situation is diferent and the more posting the more learning.THINK

Some newbe may add something oldtimers can learn.
If it were not for repeats there would be a lot of blank space on this forum.
Sometimes I am not doing a search an someone repeats a topic and I learn something I never would have researched. Might even get to use it someday.
Knowledge is one thing you can just not have to much of.
And when you think you know something there is always someone on here that may lead you to a different point of view.

Cowgirl may have been a tad blunt but I know she has responded politely to numerous topics such as this one, telling the poster to use the search function. I can understand why a person would get sick of that.

And whether or not to use the search function has been discussed many times on this and other forums, so I will just leave it at that.

Johndeereboy
I have done what you are asking. Several years ago, when we had serveral calves at one time, I put nylon rope halters on them between 3 - 6 weeks. I feeding cows everyday, and running them in the lot. I just caught one calf at a time, haltered it, and let 'em go. You have to be real careful that they don't wrap the halter around a tree, or bush and get themselves into a tangled mess. On the other hand, it allows you to run the calves into a smaller area, and easily catch them by stepping on the rope. You can scratch and pet them all over in just a few days, and even start tying them up in a week or so. Within about a month, I had all of mine where they would wait at the gate, run into their feeding area, and stand next to the rails waiting to be tied and fed. I would lead them out one at a time. It was pretty handy. I used those calves for my daughters to practice their clipping skills.

Good Luck with the Calves

Bigiron":13q3mcuz said:
You contacted me, just giving you the response you deserved.
You've been on here 2 weeks, how do you know what I deserve. I was simply stating my opinion. If you really wanted to know what everyone was going to say, use the search function. We have all given our opinions on halter breaking numerous times. I apologize if you felt I was rash, but I was simply stating that we have a search function for a reason. This has been debated on some of the other boards as Keren earlier stated.

Latest posts