halter breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

corrigancowgirl

Reaction score
I have a new show steer and he's halter broken but he is not wanting to be led at all. He throws his head and actually falls on the ground and rolls around. What do I do??

I use the style with the chain on steers like that. It kinda pinches their chin and urges them to move. You can snap the chain to get their attention too when needed. If that doesn't work, try tying him all day then leading him to food and water, then turn him loose. He will learn that being led = eating and being free. Hope it helps and good luck.

corrigancowgirl":d9ufe884 said:
I have a new show steer and he's halter broken but he is not wanting to be led at all. He throws his head and actually falls on the ground and rolls around. What do I do??
Even just tying him for three or four hours before you go to work him can help. Keep him tied up for a period of time, then take him out to work him, then let him back loose in his pen and feed him.

This has worked well for me for a number of years. We halter and tie the xalf in the front end of our 20 ft. cattle trailer. Twice a day, the animal is led (pulled) to the back end of the trailer for water. We feed in the front end and the calf stays tied day and night unil they go to water easily (usuall about 4 days). At this time they are ready to go to their pen.

If he throws his head around and falls to the ground he is more green broke than "halter broke". To me he needs an attitude adjustment. Since your out of school right now after you feed him in the mornings tie his head up for about two hours. At this time I would be working with him (brushing, show stick, etc). Then he would be tied back down low for the rest of the day with the fans and misters on. Then about 2 to 3 hours before you feed him at night repeat the morning sessions. At this time I would be working on walking him and getting him to lead. Doing this routine will build trust between you and him and will let him know who the boss is. If you need help with getting the finishing touches done, I live in between Tomball and Magnolia.

Matt

Latest posts