halter breaking

Help Support CattleToday:

We tie the calf in the front end of our 20 ft. gooseneck trailer. Twice a day we work the calf down the side to get a bucket of water. Feed and hay in the front end. When the calf will come with just a tug, it is ready to come off the trailer and go to a pen. Works well on yearlings also as they cannot get away. First day or so is slow going. !0 days is as long as I have ever had and this was a heifer with an attitude problem. She gave up was a pup.

cowboybeef":gwol4ktg said:
i have a heifer that weighs about 450 - 500 pounds wat would be the best way to halter brekk her

Drag halter for a few days

Tie up for an hour or so a day for a few days

Work on scratching her head and brushing while tied

Start leading her to food and water after being tied up, take a bucket of feed and let her eat then have someone move it a few feet then lead her to it and let her eat it for a minute then do again, moving farther and farther each time.

But most of all when tying try to spend time with her and get her use to you and gentled down, were you can brush on her. Then the feeding and moving will work great.

Have had some that just tying up a little each day was enough, but the hard to get to move ones work good with the feed and water only if they let you lead them to it.

We let ours drag the halter around, then we tie them for a couple hours a day, then we teach them to lead behind a fourwheeler. It gives a little more control. In just a couple four-wheeler sessions, ours have all been broke.

I have broken cattle in various ways from tying to leading with a tractor. I watched RFD-tv and saw a guy demo breaking a calf and used his method. It works better than I could ever imagine.
You start by working the calf around a small pen about 10'x10'. get him used to being touched with a show stick and then when he settles enough slip the halter on. let him walk around while you give very tiny...tiny tugs on the halter. After he is calm and responding positively to touch I move to a larger pen with a 20' rope. Again very small tugs. I try to get him to move one foot let the rope relax and then try to get him to move another foot etc..
After as much as your patients allows let him go and start the process the next day. (small pen too) Most of the time I have the calf leading before the first session (about an hour). I don't tie them until after they have 3 sessions. then on the fourth day I tie them. Usually they are broke to lead. Mind you that is broke to lead not show!!!

Latest posts