halter breaking... need help

Help Support CattleToday:

cah

Reaction score
We have six 4-H feeder calfs that are being halter broke... here is the problem... all of them but one are doing great.. walk to the wash rack.... don't mind anything we do... BUT there is one a steer calf that is a pain... he fights to do anything... he will walk to the wash rack but fights the whole time going once there he is fine....we have tried to walk him around in the pen but he will go and stand like he is tied up, he acts like he likes being tied up! he is a really nice steer calf and I hate to have to keep him home... any suggestions???? My hubby works during the day so he is a big help at night but during the day it is just me and the kids and I am having a hard time fighting with him. He will let you love on him and don't seem wild.. but will NOT walk anywhere! :help:

update on the little steer calf... went out to rinse this morning and noticed his halter really tight... it was actually rubbed into his head.... we have never had a problem with this before... he has only had it on for a week. hopefully that is why he didnt want to walk... I removed it and applyed medication.. we'll see how he does tonight. Any thoughts? I think I may try to put some paddding behind his ears tonight so it won't rub anymore. poor guy.. I feel for him!

I know its difficult as no-one really has the time, but he needs to spend alot more time being tied up. Feed him while being tied up and let him stay tied up untill he is really thirsty then lead him to water and repeat the process. Make him really want to walk to get to the water. Lead him back to the feed as a reward, repeat process.

That unfortunately is the only way for long term success.

KNERSIE":3sttnaj3 said:
I know its difficult as no-one really has the time, but he needs to spend alot more time being tied up. Feed him while being tied up and let him stay tied up untill he is really thirsty then lead him to water and repeat the process. Make him really want to walk to get to the water. Lead him back to the feed as a reward, repeat process.

That unfortunately is the only way for long term success.

Agreed. The cows I have who are halter broke the best, spent several weeks getting tied up twice a day.

Are you using a rope halter that you remove when they are not tied or are they wearing halters all the time?
I really like to use rope halters that you take off when not working with or tying, they adjust to the cattle's head; they won't dig in since they are not left on and I really believe they put pressure on the areas of the head where you need it when trying to work with the animal. If the cattle are green you just need a small pen to crowd them in to get the halters on. Make the calf walk to water and feed, this helps, also walk with a calf that does lead, they will follow and get the hang of it. I have also found that if you take them out to a new area to lead instead of their pen they seem to lead better, we always have calves that do not like to lead to the wash rack but get them out of the pen and they walk to the trailer and load just fine, once back in the pen the brakes come on.

yes we have rope halters on and have been removing them for the past few days... we are still not having much luck with this steer calve... he just wants to get away and he is getting so big he is hard to handle... once he gets his head down he will lunge at you .. we have never let him get away but he is a hand full for my sixteen year old and for my husband... I just don't know what else to do... he will not walk just bucks and runs.. our neighbor that has cattle suggested a shocker but I just don't know about that. I think it may make things worse???? Does any one have any tricks to get this big fellow to walk like a feeder should.? He was born March 20th. Our fair is in a week and we are running out of time. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :cboy:

A donkey if you had time. Other wise tie him up and leave him tied take him to water lead him back to feed. he don't lead he don't drink.

The lil bugger is only 4 months old. Sounds like he's got you buffaloed.

In your shoes... I'd toss the all rope halter and put a good rope/nylon halter with a CHAIN on him. He needs to get rid of the attitude and the chain will help you do that. Then, I'd leave him tied several hours morning and night, with the rope tied about back-level and with about 18" of slack. Alternately, take him into your yard and stake him out with about 10-15' of rope. You'd be surprised how quick a calf will start minding when he's dumped himself end over end a few times, and after he's hit the end of the rope enough times his jaw will be sore and he'll be more willing to cooperate. (Now that I think about it, I'd suggest staking him out rather than tying him to a post -- it sounds as if he's learned enough at the post already and he needs to move to the next level.)

If he tries charging you, a stout stick or whip will teach him to stay out of your space. Generally I find that calves who appear to "charge" usually are just lungers -- when they finally decide they're going to take a step forward they take a BIG one. :p However, that's unacceptable behavior. Keep in mind that "tame" does not equal "halter broke", but I've had some very well halter broke calves that were wild. In fact, the better halter broke calves were actually a little wary; it seems if they get too tame it's hard to get them to do anything.

The chain on the halter is there for a reason -- use it. Carry a whip or a stick and use it too if necessary. Tell him he's going to shape up, insist that he mind his manners, and in the meantime, leave him staked out in the yard so he can learn some lessons on his own. Worry more about him obeying than getting him "tame."

Best of luck.

We have raised show calves for many years and have found that the best way to halte break a calf is to get an old innertube out of a tire, fold the innertube in two around the post and tie the rope halter through the innertube. Each time the calf pulls on the rope the innertube will stretch then when he relaxes a bit it will act like someone pulling back on it. We have seen this speed up the process tremendously. Also we leave our calves tied up for about 3 hours during the morning and 3 to 4 hours an evening. Then late evening once it is a little cooler we lead the calves around a pen several times. If you are having trouble getting him to lead at all, you can try turing him in circles. Get on the end of your lead rope and make him turn in very tight circles. Good luck!

Huntercattlecompany":18erf38m said:
We have raised show calves for many years and have found that the best way to halte break a calf is to get an old innertube out of a tire, fold the innertube in two around the post and tie the rope halter through the innertube. Each time the calf pulls on the rope the innertube will stretch then when he relaxes a bit it will act like someone pulling back on it. We have seen this speed up the process tremendously. Also we leave our calves tied up for about 3 hours during the morning and 3 to 4 hours an evening. Then late evening once it is a little cooler we lead the calves around a pen several times. If you are having trouble getting him to lead at all, you can try turing him in circles. Get on the end of your lead rope and make him turn in very tight circles. Good luck!
I have used the inner tube on colts as well. I like it because it keeps the from breaking their neck when first starting.

Thank you for all the great ideas... I will share them with my husband tonight and see what happens. We did tie him up this morning for about three hours and I changed his halter to the kind with the chain. He did lead a little better. My son tied him to the four wheeler and he walked like a charm but not when he leads him by foot.! I don't know.. this little guy has be baffled.. he does not mind anyone doing anything to him but will not walk! Oh this is the part of breaking I just love.. NOT... maybe tonight he will deceide to walk! ?? I'll keep you posted

Huntercattlecompany":z7wmro9v said:

The tube sounds like a great idea, I shall go and try that in the morning! That's what makes this site so amazing, there is always someone with a better idea.

cah":1gu7f6zb said:
My son tied him to the four wheeler and he walked like a charm but not when he leads him by foot.! I don't know.. this little guy has be baffled.. he does not mind anyone doing anything to him but will not walk! Oh this is the part of breaking I just love.. NOT... maybe tonight he will deceide to walk! ?? I'll keep you posted

If you've tried this and it didn't work, try someone walking by the steer when using the 4-wheeler. Maybe he will then get the feel of someone being beside him and walking.

scottp... thank you for the great video and site... Good news on the little steer calf... last night my husband when ahead and tried walking him... he did not want to at all .. he fought us big time.. finally after a long while we when ahead and touched him very lightly on the rear with the hot shot.. he moved and walked like a charm.. my sixteen year old got him out this morning walked him right to the wash rack.. got a bath and walked out in the field like a champ. He just needed a little attitude ajustment and that did it.. he is a loveable guy just didn't know how to lead.. now you just give him that kissy kissy sound and he moves. Good news on our part... Hopefully he will get the hang of it for the fair. Thanks for all the good info... this site is great... I love the video... will have both my kids watch it! :cboy:

Latest posts