halter breaking a year old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

jmbadavis

Reaction score
we purchased a year old red angus this past weekend. My kids will be showing her at 4-H and FFA. So we need to get her halter broke. She is friendly, we can pet her and get near her. What is the best way to halter break her? My husband feels we need to hook her behind a tractor to get her to lead. Is there any other way to halter break her? I have had some people suggest tying her to a donkey, but I dont' have a donkey. Also, she is due in April with her first calf so I dont' want to do anything to her to stress her out. She is with 2 holstein steers that are halter broke. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. When we get our steers they are small enough for us to halter break they at an early age. We have never had to to deal with an older animals. Thanks

jmbadavis":2mlcqhv0 said:
we purchased a year old red angus this past weekend. . . . . Also, she is due in April with her first calf so I dont' want to do anything to her to stress her out.

:shock: So you've got a heifer that was bred at 6-7 months old? I would be more concerned about that than getting it halter broke. What kind of bull was she bred to?

Put the halter on and tie her up. Let her learn to respect the rope and that when she hits the end of it she isn't going anywhere. Once she's learned that (days/week) you'd be surprised how well they'll lead and behave themselves.

I've halter broke quite a few and never used a donkey or tractor, so no, they aren't neccessary.

I also would tie her for a few days. Leading her to water and back. If she seems a little balky at first, she will soon learn that your not going to harm her. Pet and talk to her the entire time and she'll come around. :cboy:

jmbadavis":2a3s8wt1 said:
She will be 2 in June 06.

So she is actually 18 months old? How much does she weigh?

If she has never been shown or halter broke before, good luck.

We get everything between 4 and 5 months old that are going to be halter broke. Unless, they are already show heifer's and broke, or at least broke to tie.

mom

You can do it. It's good that she's approachable and lets you pat her. Do you have a reasonably small enclosure to use? First you have to get the halter on her. Do you have a chute and headgate (the easiest way to get a halter on her without too much trauma). Does she come to you for feed? Give her a little grain or treat AFTER you get the halter on her (before releasing her from the headgate). You can also put a "sacrifice" 6-8' lead rope on the halter at that time..."sacrifice" meaning it will be dragged through mud and glop and probably won't last too long, but long enough for what you need to do.

She may jump and boink at the rope some, but not for too long; let her do this on her own time, without you on the other end of the rope. Be sure she has access to hay and water in the enclosure.

Next day, entice her into the smaller enclosure again, approach her with a pan of grain and when her head goes into the pan, pick up the rope and the pan (move slowly). Move the pan a few feet and tell her "walk" while you hold the rope. Keep doing that a few times. She'll catch on. After a few days of this, you can tie her fairly short, maybe a couple of feet (using a quick release knot) to a stout post in the enclosure. She'll fight the rope some until she figures out she isn't going to win (but she isn't fighting YOU). Don't leave her tied without supervision. Once she relaxes a bit, you can calmly and slowing begin to touch her all over (careful around the legs, they can kick in all directions very fast), brush her a little bit, give her treats, talk to her, then lead her around in the enclosure some more. It's easier to work with one if there are no other animals running loose in the same space because they'll interfere.

When I teach mine to lead, they have to come into the enclosure to get their grain or treats; if they don't come in, they don't get to eat it that day. With the rope on their halter, you have something to grab onto (but do it slowly). They usually learn very fast, and they don't forget either! And after a while, they give me dirty looks if I don't come across with treats and brushing; they like the attention. I teach "whoa" by walking them up to a board fence, a deadend. Usually, I do some leading (with the grain bucket), then tie and brush both sides for a while, including the face, legs, handle the udder, talking the whole time. Then I lead some more before I let them go. End on a good note and a treat, praise also.

Time consuming and all that, but it does work. Try to resist leading in a pasture until they're used to it cause if they pull away from you in a big space, they think they can do it all the time. And don't wrap the lead rope around your hand, no matter what; if they bolt, you could get dragged...no fun.

Sorry this is so long, tried to do it step-by-step; other people may have faster ways that work...this is just what I do. I have donkeys but have never used them for halter-breaking; although a tractor will work, I don't like the idea as it doesn't instill trust in you, the person. I would do the lead, tie, brush, lead routine everyday for a week, then at least several times a week, depending on the response from the heifer. Patience, perseverance, and praise...don't do it if you are in a bad mood or rushed.

Yikes, that was very long, sorry folks...got carried away...maybe cause I have several to halter-break now and haven't started yet, just trying to work myself up to it with 6" of mud in the pen.

We use the same method except they get lead to water. Start with a bucket in the pen, then outside the pen, then further and further away from the pen. We have an alley in front of the pens and end up with the water at the end of the alley. The alley works good to contain them. Do that for a while then move the tub out on the barn floor. Works pretty good.

Gale...great post.
We've noticed that the length of the sacrificial lead needs to be long enough to step on with the front hoofs but not so long as to get steped on with the rear and trip the animal. Alot of work but very rewarding...Susie hates to see them fight the post but keeps her thoughts to herself and I get a pie out of it after she says "I can't watch this" and goes in.
Thanks...

Well, Dave, thank you.... :D You're right about the lead length...and some of them learn exactly how long that rope is and how far to stay ahead of you faster than they learn all the other stuff. The small pen helps cause there's no way you're gonna outwalk them in a pasture.

Gale...that's one of the reasons we like to get them trained to a grain bucket, to old to be having a foot race with a calf. Seems like they never learn...always come to the bucket. Had the son-in-law walk the bawlkers into the chute with the bucket, always sware that I'm going to buy a prod but figure if I need one then I don't need that cow on the place.

Before you invest much time in breaking her, be sure she can be shown. Some youth shows don't allow animals over 18 months old to show.

When my kids were in 4-H, we used our 20 ft. gooseneck trailer for about a week. Tied the calf in the front end of trailer and worked the animal to the back end twice a day for water. We fed and left the animal tied up with enough rope to just get up and down. When they responded to the rope easily on the way to water it is time to come off the trailer and go to the barn or pen. I used this on weaned calves and a couple of year old heifers that I had bought the kids.

Only had one heifer that required more than 4 to 5 days. She took 10.