Halter breaking a 7 month old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

expensive hobby

Reaction score
I had a 7 month old Gert heifer calf get sick on me a few weeks ago. After a little TLC and a few vet visits we got her on her way to recovery. She is still a little weak but very use to us working with her. To make a long story short the kids and I have taken and extra special liking to her. I have never halter broke a calf before and did some test runs with Ginger. She accepted the rope halter with no problem at all and seemed very comfortable with it on. I took some time and was able to lead her around in the hospital pen and she remained calm. Then I got a bright idea to lead her out of her pen. Kind of a mistake IMO. She startled and fell to her side. Just wondering if this is a normal occurance when breaking a calf? I do not want to run her down any further, but I want to take advantage of her low energy level (to get her to lead). Is this a mistake? Any pointers from the show experts would be appreciated. Oh...and she will not be a show calf, hopefully just a productive and friendly member of out beef herd. Also, at times when on lead, I would need to give a little pressure on the rope to get her to move foreward. When she took a step forward I would let the pressure off. Sometimes when I let the pressure off she would try to run at me. Is this normal when breaking them? Sorry for all the questions, I just do not want to do something wrong. Thanks.

I'd keep her in the pen where she is comfortable for a while. Try to get her to associate the halter with something positive, maybe some grain or have one of the kids brush her. I've never had one run at me, but I've only done dairy breeds. Sometimes they get a little freaky. Just move slowly and quietly, and no more than 15 minutes at a time. It sounds like you have a sense for what needs to be done. Good luck. It's a good feeling to get them comfortable on lead. Then you don't put a halter on them all winter and you pretty much start all over for the next season. Craig

I usually let them teach themselves to stand tied, then teach them to lead. The pressure and release thing you are doing works well after they learn to stand tied.

Thanks for all of the replies. I had the halter on her again today but I did not take her out of the pen. I really did not work her much at all. I'm gonna try to tie her tomorrow and see what happens.

expensive hobby":1y7gci5t said:
Thanks for all of the replies. I had the halter on her again today but I did not take her out of the pen. I really did not work her much at all. I'm gonna try to tie her tomorrow and see what happens.

My nephew is still working there until Tuesday and then back next Tuesday. He is a big boy, make him help you.

This is what we do. We tie them first. About 15 minutes the first time and then longer as they get used to the halter and being tied. Make sure you stay with them in case they flip themselves over. We start touching them first, then start brushing them. After they get used to being around us and aren't so jumpy we start walking them around the pen. When they are walking nice around the pen we take them outside somewhere and tie them do all the brushing, rinsing etc outside. This is the routine tha works for us. Good luck and have fun.

kenny thomas":15bcvk24 said:
expensive hobby":15bcvk24 said:

My nephew is still working there until Tuesday and then back next Tuesday. He is a big boy, make him help you.

I have not got a chance to talk with you in a while Kenny. How are they getting along? Did they find a place yet. Slim pickn's around here with housing. Gas drillers have taken over everything. Kelly does not need to worry about me. I'll be fine. The damn warm winter, and my stupidity has done a number on my herd. Did not lose any animals but had a few sick ones. Got the mag and minerals out to them heavy and everyone seems to be fine now. The kids really want to halter break the heifer so now we are "playing" with her. Its kind of fun since we never did this before.

L Weir":a5zg7bqh said:
This is what we do. We tie them first. About 15 minutes the first time and then longer as they get used to the halter and being tied. Make sure you stay with them in case they flip themselves over. We start touching them first, then start brushing them. After they get used to being around us and aren't so jumpy we start walking them around the pen. When they are walking nice around the pen we take them outside somewhere and tie them do all the brushing, rinsing etc outside. This is the routine tha works for us. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks L. Weir. I tied her today for about 10-15 min. She tried to fight it a bit but did not flip over. A few more weeks and we may get somewhere....lol. She really did not want to be messed with....just worried about the rope around her face. Calmed her with grain and took it off when she was done eating.

Leading her to grain works wonders. Do not take her out of her pen until you are confident that you can hold her if she decides to bolt. If you have another confined area outside her pen, that works great - moving her out of her pen into a bigger but confined area is best. If she gets away, they generally ALWAYS try to get away after that. By keeping her in close quarters, even if she pulls the rope out of your hand, it's temporary, and she doesn't LEARN to pull away for freedom.
It's a fun challenge.

Latest posts