Half brother Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I want to thank every one for their responses. I have decided NOT to use him, the risk seems too great, and the benefits few. HOWEVER, I would like to interject a couple of thoughts. FIRST, if you band at birth or shortly thereafter, how would you ever know if you had a good bull prospect until it was too late? SECOND, I think some responses need to be tempered with a little more thought and consideration before being posted.THIRD, He is not a crappy animal, he comes from a very fine sire that has all the paperwork that so many are fond of, and the mommas are some fine animals also. He should make a fine addition to someones herd. Thanks Again

if you band at birth or shortly thereafter, how would you ever know if you had a good bull prospect until it was too late?

You won't know.

That being said, there is more to breeding bulls than just using a papered bull on some fine looking cows. In the case of the better breeders there goes years of research, thousands of miles driven to look at ancestors, progeny, other relations, thousands of dollars spent on testing bulls and most importantly cutting and sending alot of otherwise very good calves to the feedlot.

If you have done all of these plus have a great understanding of genetics, phenotype, market trends, as well as what might be needed in other production areas and own the cows to compliment the sire you plan to use after doing all this, by all means start breeding your own bulls. If not it may be wiser to invest in bulls from someone reputable who is doing all this.

Don't mean to sound harsh, it's just the reality of bull breeding.

Latest posts