Half baled

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Still have one more field that's down. Can you believe it, today it's raining. Who would have ever thunk?

I try to never have any hay down on memorial day weekend because it usually rains

I got baled out yesterday evening the ground is so wet in my bottoms that it is hard to get it to cure, had to run the tedder twice

didn't bale much I only baled my rye and 2 bottoms of grass and my alfalfa and it made 271 bales

rye and grass averaged a little better than 3.5 tons per acre and it was just right no seed in the fescue or rye yet and had lots of clover in them,the rye and the OG was just releasing pollen

dun":3vvp7ipk said:
Still have one more field that's down. Can you believe it, today it's raining. Who would have ever thunk?
Thought it was supposed to rain Friday. :p

So dry here you can cut one day and bale the next. Hay is pretty sorry too. Ton to ton and a half is about tops.

1982vett":2xkqen9f said:
dun":2xkqen9f said:
Thought it was supposed to rain Friday. :p

So dry here you can cut one day and bale the next. Hay is pretty sorry too. Ton to ton and a half is about tops.

Monday it was supposed to rain sunday night. Cut it on Monday. Tuesday it was supposed to rain saturday night. Thursday it was supposed to rain Friday. Turns out just showers, but the humidity has been so awfull all week that the stuff if it has and quantity to it is slow to dry even after tedding. Oh, and the winds we've been having for the last 2 months have died down to nothing all this week, barely a breeze.
Ah well, the half that is baled is some really nice hay, smells great.

1982vett":1wkfxatc said:
I love those moving target forecasts. Really usefull. :lol:

Last year they called for 4 days with no rain. I cut it and it poured that night and for the next 2 days. Sure am glad someone invented tedders

Cut 3 small field Wednesday, forecast kept changing from a 20% chance to none for Saturday. Probably should have stayed out of the field but did not. Got a slight shower on yet early yesterday but it dried off pretty good. With 50-60% chances all the way to the middle of the week I baled it, I feel 90% was in good shape wish it was all out of the field worked til 9:30 last night at least trying to get all of the low areas moved which was about half of the hay.

I let hay season stress me out too much. :cry2:

we have this friend that baled alot of hay.an when he would start cutting.my dad would say guess its going to rain.an it would usually rain.we would never cut hay when he was cutting hay.

The weather forecast will be as clear as a bell. When we get hay on the ground, a thunderstorm will pop up out of no where! NEVER FAILS!

Well it got here. Raining according to the electronic rain gauge at the rate of 1.5 inches an hour. Just hope it only last a couple of minutes.

I have some very good hay on the ground, but like you guys we are expecting rain for several days. At what point do you know it is a lost cause. If it is dry enough to bale a some point do you go ahead and bale it even if it has been rained on a couple time and laying out for 5 or 6 day. I have access to a tedder.

Usually if you are expecting to bale again you need to get the bad stuff off. Especially if it is very thick. I'd tedder it and roll it. It can be used for bedding and gully plugs if it is so bad the cows won't eat it. You would be surprised what they will eat.

I rolled 2 fields yesterday, one of which was a good bit too wet. Calling for rain last night and today so I rolled it anyway. It must have let loose a drop or two, according to the dots in the driveway. So far this is the sorriest first cut that I can remember for years, the cold weather really hurt us. The two fields that I baled yesterday will average 5-5.5 rolls/acre on a good year, ended up with 2 rolls/acre. Ouch.

Angus Cowman":2lzjjtdr said:
talldog":2lzjjtdr said:
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, but----God is Good !!!!!! :D
No like the song says God is Great,Beer is good and People are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, the first time I heard that song I thought it was stupid. But the more I hear it, the more I like it. And I don't even care for beer.

cfpinz":p5z4eg2x said:
Angus Cowman":p5z4eg2x said:
No like the song says God is Great,Beer is good and People are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, the first time I heard that song I thought it was stupid. But the more I hear it, the more I like it. And I don't even care for beer.
I had never really listened to all the words of the song until the other day when I was baling and I liked it

I agree I don't care for beer either I prefer Crown neat or on the rocks

Angus Cowman":sez9k34u said:
I agree I don't care for beer either I prefer Crown neat or on the rocks

I'm too tight to buy Crown (big surprise, I'm sure) but a friend of mine had some one time and I tried it. I'll stick with Southern Comfort.

Latest posts