Half and 3/4 Top Cattle Trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

northcreek

Reaction score
I am looking at cattle trailers, and can see where a 3/4 top trailer could be very useful. However, I am concerned about animals trying to climb or jump out. Does anyone have any experience with these types and is that a problem?

I've seen people do it, but I wouldn't dream of putting cattle in an open top trailer (unless the sides were 8' tall).

We use them to catch cattle. Fine to put gentle cattle or horses in the back, but the jail cell up front is reserved for unruly customers. This trailer even has dog boxes in the gooseneck and a calf cage in the front of the box.

Ours was open top back in about 1980 when it was new. Dad's FIL welded a wire panel up to keep goats from climbing out. Last year one of my less than tame mamas jumped up and hit the top. Broke the weld loose and proceeded climb over the side and out the top, then into the nearest wooded area. The sides are tall enough that I don't have to duck inside so I'd say 6.5 ft tall. It wasn't easy for her but she got the job done.

Farm Fence,that is the kind of trailer I am looking at. That is a Big Bend correct? Are you pleased with it? I really like the dog boxes and saddle racks, but can't decide if I want to add that expense.

northcreek":2qbd1jnc said:
Farm Fence,that is the kind of trailer I am looking at. That is a Big Bend correct? Are you pleased with it? I really like the dog boxes and saddle racks, but can't decide if I want to add that expense.
Yes, it's a Big Bend. That one is my buddy's....mine isn't as nice. I really like it, and so does he. They made that trailer for some big ranch rodeo championship, and it didn't sell very quick, so he got a good deal. When I replace mine, I'd like that same trailer. I'd spring for the saddle racks and dog boxes, if you use dogs, as well as the under fender tool boxes. They are dang handy.

Farm Fence Solutions":3r9a1v00 said:
northcreek":3r9a1v00 said:
Yes, it's a Big Bend. That one is my buddy's....mine isn't as nice. I really like it, and so does he. They made that trailer for some big ranch rodeo championship, and it didn't sell very quick, so he got a good deal. When I replace mine, I'd like that same trailer. I'd spring for the saddle racks and dog boxes, if you use dogs, as well as the under fender tool boxes. They are dang handy.
I thought it looked a little out of place West of the Mississippi. Great craftsmanship on those trailers.

I bought a 7 x 24 Big Bend a few months back and love it so far. It a full length solid roof not a catch trailer. They are more expensive but but not so much if you would add all the features that come stock on to another conventional trailer such as Neckover or Gooseneck. They are very well designed and solid built. The gap at the bottom lets most of the manure out and prevents the build up that causes rust on most trailers. Under the floor is square tubing, not channel or angle. I truly believe it will out last me in this business.

One of the main reasons I was considering the 3/4 top was that when I catch my cattle and calves I use my mule and I know you can get a ramp on the Big Bends and was thinking if it had an open 3/4 top that I could pull my mule into the trailer to load up at different fields. For those of you that have a Big Bend, were they discounted off the msrp any?

I am not sure what the MSRP was on my trailer but I know I paid somewhat less than the asking price and I believe that was somewhat below the MSRP. If you order one built like you want, you lose some of the leverage in pricing. When I ask about it, the owner of the company told me it was a 10 week lead time and would be moderately higher than something they had on the lot. Where are you located Northcreek?
This will get you some ideas on pricing.

http://www.lloydtrailer.com/trailers/li ... -trailers/

northcreek":29rfe5m0 said:
One of the main reasons I was considering the 3/4 top was that when I catch my cattle and calves I use my mule and I know you can get a ramp on the Big Bends and was thinking if it had an open 3/4 top that I could pull my mule into the trailer to load up at different fields. For those of you that have a Big Bend, were they discounted off the msrp any?

That's a good reason. I won't buy another cattle trailer that my mule won't fit in either. It's too handy and it's what my cattle are use to.

Bird Dog, I am located in North Alabama, and I have never seen one in this area, but I saw one at the National Cattleman's association once and I felt like it was the best trailer I have ever seen. For my needs anyway. As far as justifying the expense, I have had junk and home made trailers my entire life. I have had an axle come out with a load going down the road. I have had a bull rip through the side of one. Fortunately I was in the pasture at the time. I am tired of repairing, risks, and liability of pulling a sub par trailer. I have pondered the expense for a while and I feel like a used trailer is going to set me back 4-6k and that is for about a 5-10 year old trailer. I could buy a top of the line 20-24 foot trailer for about 12,500. If I keep it and use it for 20 years, even if it has zero value at the end of that time I only have $650 a year in it. If I haul 10-15 times a year I come out as cheap or cheaper than paying someone to haul for me. I then have the convenience of moving cattle when I want and need.

bird dog":naj01bl8 said:
I am not sure what the MSRP was on my trailer but I know I paid somewhat less than the asking price and I believe that was somewhat below the MSRP. If you order one built like you want, you lose some of the leverage in pricing. When I ask about it, the owner of the company told me it was a 10 week lead time and would be moderately higher than something they had on the lot. Where are you located Northcreek?
This will get you some ideas on pricing.

http://www.lloydtrailer.com/trailers/li ... -trailers/

Thanks for the link I have been looking online and haven't found a lot.

Latest posts