Half a Million + flood damaged cars in Houston

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/foo ... spartanntp

$

Probably ship them north for resale.
I was truck shopping, I won't even consider one for a year now.
If you can find a clean one it will be sticker price.
There was that many cars lost in Hardin,Jefferson and Orange counties I bet as well.

Caustic Burno":30wim0oj said:
Probably ship them north for resale.
I was truck shopping, I won't even consider one for a year now.
I'd be a little leery of tractors and other farm equipment for awhile too, depending where you might be looking..

I saw thousands of bales of cotton in the fields from Refugio Northward yesterday. I wonder if they got it done before or after Harvey? (The sides were covered in wrap but not the ends)

I bought the wife's utv at auction after
Halloween floods. There was noticeably water in the oil and the oil pressure warning light was unplugged.
But it was CHEAP.
I took it home drained the oil flushed the crankcase and replaced the filter.
It's used multiple times every day.

This is opportunity for mechanical people who use common sense and caution.

callmefence":2vbegk7l said:
Halloween floods. There was noticeably water in the oil and the oil pressure warning light was unplugged.
But it was CHEAP.

Yes indeedy, but there's lots of difference between a UTV ...and a car/truck or even modern tractor with a gajillion electronics and computer/black boxes on it.

greybeard":sbgthn1h said:
callmefence":sbgthn1h said:
But it was CHEAP.

Yes indeedy, but there's lots of difference between a UTV ...and a car/truck or even modern tractor with a gajillion electronics and computer/black boxes on it.

Yep..that d be the common sense part

When I'm heading home from work in the evenings it seems like every tenth vehicle I meet on Highway 6 is hauling them north; from 1 to 4 or 5 at a time, but mostly wreckers with 1 or 2.

Actually was at our local dealer this week looking at updated our truck. We know the owner and he told us if we were serious about buying to get it done in the next 30 to 45 days. He said Ford already had contacted them about possibly coming to get vehicles from there lot in the near future. I'm guessing that we create a supply and demand situation. By the way we are in northern Wisconsin so if we are gonna be affected I'm sure most of the rest of the country will be as well.

ford just stopped production in several plants.. since nothing is selling...

From what I read a while back, flooded cars/trucks can be a real mine field. With all the electronics, getting them dried properly without causing issues is nearly impossible. After having a car flooded years ago I know how issues can keep popping up.l And that was in the 60s before all the elctronic crap. Starter, generator and dirt inside the engine were the main problems. Of course the upholstry slowing decaying over time didn;t help.

If someone has their CDL, access to a car hauler and can afford to buy decent used cars they could make a decent amount of money.

A pressure washing, wet/dry vac and a good drying out they should sell great.

2017.08.29%20-%20Flooded%20Cars_0.JPG

callmefence":17dgguki said:
But it was CHEAP.

Was going to say the same thing... If I can find some dirt cheap trucks id have them shipped here and use as work trucks or farm trucks farm equipment too... I wonder if they will be auctioning them off or sending that kinda stuff straight to scrap. If yall hear of some kind of sales let me know please.

greybeard":1kt8we6e said:
callmefence":1kt8we6e said:
But it was CHEAP.

This is true... However if you don't mind a lil work and maybe some expense you can come out way ahead potentially... Nothing Ventured nothing gained... That being said I would prefer older vehicles or equipment mostly.

Latest posts