Hairy Heel Warts

Help Support CattleToday:

haiiry foot warts are bad news.the dairy cattle get them.an they can spead like wild fire.i know beef cows can get emm as well.but i cant remember what you use to get rid of them.the dairies use a foot bath to treat for hairy foot warts.talk to your vet.scott

There's a new product that seems to work pretty well. Don;t recall the name but I'll check. The good part is that it only takes 2 treatments. No wrapping or treatments for a week.

dun

dun":3ppuccjm said:
There's a new product that seems to work pretty well. Don;t recall the name but I'll check. The good part is that it only takes 2 treatments. No wrapping or treatments for a week.

dun

It's like foot rot without the swelling, redness, and smell. We put tetracycline powder on it and wrapped it. The vets said it is not uncommon for animals to have it for long periods before being detected because it's hard to see. It is caused from a spirochete, that is neither a bacteria nor a virus.

There is a vaccine for it now. It's called "Trep Shield HW" by Novartis.

Just wanted for everyone to be aware of it.

ollie'":3rwyc1b9 said:
How effective is the vaccine?

I don't know. I e-mailed and asked for reactions and effectiveness and this is what I got:

I will mail you the literature we have. Obviously I cannot give you a 100% guarantee that your bull will not show a reaction, but we have had very few reactions reported to us from this product.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is evidence that, once animals are infected, they continue to carry the Treponema in the tissues of their foot even when they visibly look cured. This is probably why animals tend to relapse with heel warts. In the work we have done, we got better results vaccinating heifers than we did vaccinating older cows, and this carrier state was probably a main reason why.

Regards,

Leann Schulz-Thomas, DVM
Technical Services Veterinarian
Farm Animal Business
Novartis Animal Health US, Inc.
1447 140th St.
Larchwood, IA 51241
800-843-3386

I only get it in my lots where the bulls are at. I never get it on a cow in the pasture. I am not even sure It is a hairy heel wart but the symptoms and necrotic spots are in places dissimiliar with regular foot rot. The only way I have had much success is spray the foot (very gentle bulls) every day or so with Tetracycline powder mixed up in a spray bottle .

Mine may be different because it smells when you treat it.

dun":w1cir5m3 said:
This is the stuff that is being used at the dairy. They're only using twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. So far seems to be working really well

http://www.kidronsupply.com/dairysource ... 270&step=2

dun

Thanks, I'll give them a call. The liquid will be much easier to apply to a standing animal than the powder.

One vet told me that Kopertox doesn't work on the Trepanoma and another said it would. :?:

According to the A&M website, you should try applying oxytetacyline topically everyday for 5 days. Then every other day for a week.

I have had it in beef cows on pasture. The vet put compression bandages with tetracycline power wrapped around the hoof for 3 weeks. Then I treated daily with coppertox for another week. Have not had a re-occurance yet.

Latest posts