Hairy heel wart

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
My favorite heifer has hairy heel wart in between her toes on both back feet. I wrapped it with a terimyicin (sp) soaked gauze pad. But searching I found Hoofmate by Hux, Inc. and Hairy Wart Away by Dr. Pauls. Do these products prevent this wart thing from reaccuring? Will I always have to treat her, or will it just go away and never return? I just moved all my heifers to a new lot two weeks ago, and the lot hasn't had cattle there for 8 years. So where could this have come from?

I just turned my cow out that had H.H.W.'s I went through 4 weeks of treatment in the form of wrapping with tetracyclene too and keeping her penned away from mud and muck (not easy) I hope it doesn't come back but I don't know. I think a lot of is has to do with so much mud and muck this year and our place used to be a dairy? The vet suggested this treatment, not any of those you said. As far as I could tell it was not for prevention though. Sorry, not much help I know. BTW, my cow is still limping a bit after 4 weeks of treatment. I have also been putting copertox on it.

That Hoofmate dee mentioned is $90 for a jar, but has a money back guarantee, my neighbor, a dairy farmer swears by it. One application. Here is the phone # if you have any questions......1-888-663-9727

I have worked for a hoof trimmer in our area for about 5 months to become familiar with the feet of cows and the ability to fix them on my own. For warts we would use the tetrycycline and a piece of cotton to hold it on the foot along with some foot wrap. The key to the whole process is to scrap the wart so it looks irritated or even bleeding. Caution: the cow will kick like heck because it is not to pleasant for her. After about a week you will be able to tell a substancial difference.

Our neighboring dairy farm has had a tough time with HHW.
They called in a professional hoof trimmer with one of those hydraulic tables. He trims, treats and wraps the cows. $10/cow --10 cow minimum.

He uses the vet wrap ...in assorted colors.
Makes for a very interesting herd.

I was told that spreading lime in the loafing areas might cut down on the incidence of HHW.

Photos of how he wraps:

Redslippers6704CLOSEUP.jpg

Rubyblueslippers6704.jpg

CowCop, great pic's!!!! :lol: That was how my vet wrapped my heifer....blue to match her halter. Unsure as to if the other heifers are jealous of her new look, or are secretly laughing. I will call on lime tomorrow. Thanks!

I recently was speaking with a customer of mine in Southern Alberta, Canada and he spoke of having just had a hoof cleaning session with their vet and the vet had remarked on how that this herd had the least amount of hairy wart disease he had ever seen. The product that this dairy is using is Anolyte, producted using ECA technology and adding it (3%) to the water system for the barn. They apparently also use the Anolyte in a stronger solution for the foot bath.
They are also reporting increased feed conversion higher catch rates for breeding and general improved health of the herd.

~
THANK YOU for that information.

I am going to pass it along to my neighbors.