hairloss in cow

Help Support CattleToday:

BARNSCOOP

Reaction score
Okay,
I have a cow that for some reason is loseing hair around her eyes, jawline, and neck. I see them everyday and it has happened within the week. I did see her scratching on a post today. The others don't show signs .She has no raised skin only no hair in spots and the skin is a dull gray on her neck and jawline and black around her eyes. (She is black). She has been on the rebound and not in the best condition since before I pulled her calf in early December. It seems to be taking a very long time for her to spring back and she has a calf due the end of March. I dewormer her today with Ivomac and sprayed the whole herd including scratching trees with permethrin 10. We have a healthy , closed herd and the farm is very clean. What is this? I don't know if it is a mite, lice, fungus, or a side effect of the strain her body is in. Can anybody advise?

I agree with Kenny. If it was a fungus like ringworm it would be raised. Mange is also a suspect but usually that is in places where they rub, on the body (from my experience anyways) not around the face like you describe. Just keep an eye on it and if your treatment doesn't seem to have helped try to get a closer look at it.

Latest posts