hairless scabby area around eye

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We recently bought a steer that has a hairless scabby area around his eye that is a few inches in area. Lots of cattle in the herd were like this. The rancher thought they would clear up when we start getting more sun ( we live in Alaska). He said they came in off the range a couple weeks ago like that. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and how to treat? Thanks.

[email protected]

Just a guess, but it sounds like the rancher knew the steer has ringworm. That's my guess, because it commonly clears up with increased sunlight.

If it is ringworm, be aware it is contagious to all mammals, including you, your dog, your cat, other cattle, etc. It will also live in wooden surfaces for a couple of years.

Be sure you worm the steer. Lice are a common problem in winter, too.

> We recently bought a steer that
> has a hairless scabby area around
> his eye that is a few inches in
> area. Lots of cattle in the herd
> were like this. The rancher
> thought they would clear up when
> we start getting more sun ( we
> live in Alaska). He said they came
> in off the range a couple weeks
> ago like that. Does anyone have
> any ideas what this could be and
> how to treat? Thanks.

Yeah when we where kids my cousin and I where tying the calves as they drug them to us and my cousin ended up wrestling with a calf who had ring worm and ended up getting it all over his face. It was the funniest dang thing you ever did see so yeah humans can dang sure contact from cattle.

> Yeah when we where kids my cousin
> and I where tying the calves as
> they drug them to us and my cousin
> ended up wrestling with a calf who
> had ring worm and ended up getting
> it all over his face. It was the
> funniest dang thing you ever did
> see so yeah humans can dang sure
> contact from cattle. We get it occasionally. If it bothers you put any athlete foot salve on it. I use Desenex but any one should work it is a fungus just like athlete foot.

[email protected]

Sounds like ring worm to me, Ring worm is a fungus, and is sensitive to common houshold bleach, it is cheap and works, dab a moistened cotton ball damp with bleach to the affected area a few times, once a day for a few days, you will see it start to heal quickly

[email protected]

Right now all of the steers at my school farm have ring worm. Are teacher told us to put 7.5% or higher iodine on it to get rid of it quick but so far with no luck. The shows in February so we it gone and hair grown back by then...anyone think thats possible? Maybe we'll try the bleach thing but is that recommended for show cattle?

[email protected]

Well, you have seen that tincture of iodine, or betadine soln. is ineeftive for the treatment of ring worm, and or very slow, Bleach works FAST and does not hurt the hair coat, or cause discoloration, but once the ringworm has been killed (it is a fungus) the skin and hair will return to normal condition.

I showed steers, you should be rinsing daily to work hair if these are for a hair show, if not, you should wash and soak all grooming tools and halters in bleach to decontaminate the tools which are most definitly helping to spread the ring worm. You can also go spend lots of money on antifungal sprays and shampoos, but bleach is very effective, once you have the situation under control, use listerine (regular) mouthwash as a daily disinfectant, can be sprayed on the animal and left to dry, this will prevent dry scaley skin and itching, and leaves the animal smelling fresh and clean.

[email protected]

Latest posts