Hair shedding study

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep is enrolled in a hair shedding study. I think they are three years into a five year study. The County Agent comes out to do the scoring to ensure consistency. The difficulty is concluding whether the retained hair is due to genetics or phytotoxins in fescue.

Waste of money some cows shed out quick some cows don't. If they shed quick and clean they will do better on fescue than the ones that don't. Cull the ones that don't shed out right for your enviroment.

Red Bull Breeder said:
Waste of money some cows shed out quick some cows don't. If they shed quick and clean they will do better on fescue than the ones that don't. Cull the ones that don't shed out right for your enviroment.

We have some high legume pastures, and the excess protein causes some to shed out slowly.

Shouldn't cause them to Steve. Either they shed out easy or they don't. Would help is every time one rubbed or scratched people wouldn't run a pour on down there back.

Red Bull Breeder said:
I agree but there is skepticism and lack of knowledge for some individuals and buyers. This is merely a way to validate some of the things we know from practical sense for some who do not have the practical experience.

Bright Raven said:
Fire Sweep is enrolled in a hair shedding study. I think they are three years into a five year study. The County Agent comes out to do the scoring to ensure consistency. The difficulty is concluding whether the retained hair is due to genetics or phytotoxins in fescue.
Seems they can/are able to link the two together. I can here on the farm but again from records, observations, practical experience and common sense. If it works it is not difficult nor necessary to say which or if both are the cause. There is a link.

Latest posts