Hair loss

Help Support CattleToday:

pauline

Reaction score
I have noticed a cow that has developed some hair loss on her thigh. What is it and how to treat it? The bald patch is becoming bigger.

hari-loss.jpg

Thanks
Pauline

Looks like shes scratching/rubbing it so it must itch. Lice maybe, or just trying to get rid of her winter coat?

gertguy":3f8amvf4 said:
I would find other things to spend my time worrying about.
I'm glad that someone takes care of and pays enough attention to their stock to notice things like this! I'm pretty sure that she has lice from what I can see. It is hard to market an animal who has bald patches and parasites, so I am glad you are taking action. It is a real shame that people come on these boards for advice and get smart @$$ remarks that don't help anyone! Please take your negative attitude somewhere else, becuase the majority of people on here are looking to others for help and to gain a better understanding of their stock, and don't want to be bombarded with stupid comments. Have a nice day! :D

I would guess lice too . Odd place for it to start though . Tons of stuff to treat lice with . Anything from pour-on to something like coral dust .

Larry

Could be lice possibly, but can't really tell from that pic. Nearly all of our cows start looking that way toward spring as they lose the winter coat. Some just from itching, some from dried manure collecting, then they rub it off, some from dried manure on the tail switching back and forth, it is pretty common.

Thank you for your postings.

I only have 10 cows and a bunch of babies. So I guess I can afford the time to look at them while I enjoy the sunshine with them in the pasture during weekends. Last year when I walked around looking at the herd, I noticed a steer with a golf-sized ball on his side. I started to research. In a week's time, the ball grew into a small watermelon. By then, I found out that it was a abscess and we took care of it. I guess that's the benefit of paying attention to the herd.

What alarmed me with this cow is that the bald patch is becoming bigger. I just wanted to find out what's happening. Maybe I should not be worried about it now. I'm glad some of you have given me possible causes so that I can do some research.

Next week, I have the opportunity to take some cattle's fecal matter for free inspection of parasites and meet with an agricultural extension agent. I will definitely take the feces from this cow.

Thanks
Pauline

You will not find the answer in the feces. Lice is a living insect that bites/or sucks on the cattle. They make the cattle itch. You cow has been backing up to something & itching her butt causing the hair loss.
It is very easy to treat with a pour-on product. One of them is called DeLice, you can find something at any farm or feed store.

pauline":1bpinzqp said:
Thank you for your postings.

I only have 10 cows and a bunch of babies. So I guess I can afford the time to look at them while I enjoy the sunshine with them in the pasture during weekends.

Pauline, just joshing you about the rogaine. I'm pretty picky about my cattle and I'd sure be trying to figure that deal out as well. Sounds like you're getting some good advice. Good luck to you.

Latest posts