hair loss

Help Support CattleToday:

oaktrace

Reaction score
I have some 6-7 week old dairy calves still on the bottle. A couple of days ago they started to develop bald patches - mostly along the neck and shoulder areas. I saw one rubbing itself on a round bale. Other than that they are acting fine. Does anyone know if this is a parasite issue that a dose of Ivormec will take care of? Appreciate any feedback.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":187y0sy7 said:
Eprinex ivomec pour on should take care of it. Get the eprinex as it is weather proof. This way if it rains it should still work. Sounds like lice to me to. My cows and calves had the same deal going on this winter. When I wormed em with the eprinex ivomec they looked better within a day or 2 and werent rubbing and the hair has now grown back and slicked off.

thanks! I had them up in stall for a couple of days due to heavy rains. Do I need to treat the stalls with something as well??

This has been a topic before. I have had two calves with it before in the last couple of years. The vet couldn't figure it out. Checked for lice, parasites of any kind,fever, drew blood and tested it couldn't find anything physicaly wrong with them. They ate good and seemed to feel fine. Just lost large patches of hair. I finally gave them a bath in bleach. Hair loss stopped immediately. New hair was growing back in a week. They came out of it fine. Wash them in strong bleach water, let it stay on for about 5 minutes and rinse them off good. Maybe it will work for you. It won't hurt anything to try it.

Latest posts