Hair Loss on rump.

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
Just a quick question lately a some of my cows have been loosing hair on there rump. They are pregnant but now one of the calves is starting to loose a little. Are they just rubbing them or is something wrong?

~~

There is also a powder you can sprinkle on them for lice.
It is very effective. Yellow container, can't think of the name right now...

In November, at weaning and preg check, we use Esprinex pour on for worming and external parasites. Very effective for lice.
http://www.valleyvet.com

The bull was too busy to come up for the process in Nov and he started scratching 2 weeks ago, so I put the lice powder on his back end and he is better now.

Read up on lice and their life cycle and you will understand why cattle are itching their back end in Jan/Feb and not their front end.

Hope this helps,

There is also a powder you can sprinkle on them for lice.
It is very effective. Yellow container, can't think of the name right now...

Diatomacious earth?

~~

I think its either Co-ral lice dust or Sevin powder.
Effective, easy to use and inexpensive.

Will check the container.

There are a lot of products that will work well, just pick one that is easy for you to use depending on you facilities and the number to be treated. An injectable will not work for biting lice so it needs to be an external application .

Larry

Diatomaceous earth will work good. Hardwood ashes will too. Lice are common in late winter, but double check nutritional issues as weak animals tend to be prone to external parasites worse than critters in top health. Also the infestation will do more harm to sick ones.

Try the less toxic routes before escalating to heavier poisons.

Latest posts