hair loss on calf (w/pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I've got a calf here - about a month old - that's losing hair in a serious way. It started on his rump and I figured it was related to the scours he'd had; I've had calves do that before, but it's progressed so he's going bald on the inside of the hind legs, belly, between the front legs, and then he's a little patchy down by his front hooves and at the base of his ears. The hair is just...gone. No fuzz left, no sign that he itched it off, the hair is just mysteriously missing.

Otherwise, he's healthy, runs, bucks, nurses fine. What ever this is doesn't *appear* to be contagious as none of the other calves with him have hair loss.

It does seem to itch him a little bit; I noticed him licking himself where the hair is missing, but only a few licks and that was all.

Any ideas??? :help:

---edited to note pics in subject line---

can be lice, i havent had urine burn in a calf, so i dont know about that, but normally when i have one lose hair like that it is due to a very high fever. you said it had the scours, i am betting it also had a high fever and that will kill hair follicles and cause it to lose hair. if that is the cause, the hair will grow back in time

The high fever would make sense as he was REALLY sick. I'm sure hoping it's not lice or mange or anything like that...wouldn't want my other animals looking like this. I took some pictures; tried to outline the bald spots in red, maybe it'll show up here.

calfrearmod.JPG

calfsidemod.JPG

That's just manure all over his back - he must have stood behind mom while he was nursing.

It's probably from the scours he had and maybe fever. I had a couple of newborns last year that did the same exact thing. Hair grew back in and they were fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Good to know. Thanks folks. :) I was just concerned it was some contagious something or other causing this - afraid maybe my show steer or the horses would catch it. Glad to know it isn't that serious.

Been a long time ago since I saw this. The best I can remember it was caused by the stomach acid in the scours. Everthing has to be just right ( or Wrong ) for the condition to occur. I may be way off base here as I have slep many times since I saw this.