Hair loss around eyes.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just put some new Highland cows in with my original herd, they have been pushing each other around quite a bit, all of the younger animals have lost the hair under and over their eyes, they also have scabs on these bare patches and small cuts, is this from the fighting? Or is this a symptom of Cancer eye or Pink Eye that is not common in Highland cattle. I have had Angus all my life and have never seen anyhting like this.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1r87254f said:
: I just put some new Highland cows in with my original herd, they have been pushing each other around quite a bit, all of the younger animals have lost the hair under and over their eyes, they also have scabs on these bare patches and small cuts, is this from the fighting? Or is this a symptom of Cancer eye or Pink Eye that is not common in Highland cattle. I have had Angus all my life and have never seen anyhting like this.<p> Shon , <br>It sounds like ringworm to me . For some reason it seems like everyone I know including me has it this year . You can scrub it down and use topical fungacide , iodine or even bleach to help get rid of it quicker but this is not always possible due to time and facilities . It will go away on its own but they will look like miserable critters till then . <br> Ther is another posting on here about white spots around eyes , you can take a look at that and get some ideas . If you don't think this is it you might have some oldtimers or a vet look at it . Good Luck <p> Brent White <br> West Creek Ranch <br> Dix , IL<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Thanks Longhorn, I believe now that I look at it closer that it is ringworm. I have some of my younger cattle that seem to be getting over it. They do look terrible, and it could not be a worse time, I am building a website and need their pictures they are not very photogenic. Do you know how long it takes for this to clear up on its own?<p><p><br>: : I just put some new Highland cows in with my original herd, they have been pushing each other around quite a bit, all of the younger animals have lost the hair under and over their eyes, they also have scabs on these bare patches and small cuts, is this from the fighting? Or is this a symptom of Cancer eye or Pink Eye that is not common in Highland cattle. I have had Angus all my life and have never seen anyhting like this.<p>: Shon , <br>: It sounds like ringworm to me . For some reason it seems like everyone I know including me has it this year . You can scrub it down and use topical fungacide , iodine or even bleach to help get rid of it quicker but this is not always possible due to time and facilities . It will go away on its own but they will look like miserable critters till then . <br>: Ther is another posting on here about white spots around eyes , you can take a look at that and get some ideas . If you don't think this is it you might have some oldtimers or a vet look at it . Good Luck <p>: Brent White <br>: West Creek Ranch <br>: Dix , IL<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":kxwrkt7s said:
: Thanks Longhorn, I believe now that I look at it closer that it is ringworm. I have some of my younger cattle that seem to be getting over it. They do look terrible, and it could not be a worse time, I am building a website and need their pictures they are not very photogenic. Do you know how long it takes for this to clear up on its own?<p>Shon , <br> Sorry I can't give you a time . It seems depend on the animal and good sunny days . I understand about pictures and bad timing , seems like it always like that . How many Highlanders you got ? <br> A good friend of mine is from Scotland he tells me stories about them old cows . Of course you might have guessed I like anything with horns . Well email me sometime and good luck . <br>: <br>: : : I just put some new Highland cows in with my original herd, they have been pushing each other around quite a bit, all of the younger animals have lost the hair under and over their eyes, they also have scabs on these bare patches and small cuts, is this from the fighting? Or is this a symptom of Cancer eye or Pink Eye that is not common in Highland cattle. I have had Angus all my life and have never seen anyhting like this.<p>: : Shon , <br>: : It sounds like ringworm to me . For some reason it seems like everyone I know including me has it this year . You can scrub it down and use topical fungacide , iodine or even bleach to help get rid of it quicker but this is not always possible due to time and facilities . It will go away on its own but they will look like miserable critters till then . <br>: : Ther is another posting on here about white spots around eyes , you can take a look at that and get some ideas . If you don't think this is it you might have some oldtimers or a vet look at it . Good Luck <p>: : Brent White <br>: : West Creek Ranch <br>: : Dix , IL<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Shon:<p>I currently have a herd of 50+ Highlands and have not had any ringworm with them, that is not to say that it is not possible. I also have some shorthorns and an angus - it was the shorthorns who got the ringworm. I used iodine on them - there is also a vaccine available now - (I believe but I dont know how cost effective it is) I isolated the animals from my herd once I found out what it was - it also made it easier to treat. Make sure you take precautions as you can get ringworm too! It is a parasite - so use gloves. If it is really close to the eyes check with your vet for alternatives. Hope this helps. <br>: : : I just put some new Highland cows in with my original herd, they have been pushing each other around quite a bit, all of the younger animals have lost the hair under and over their eyes, they also have scabs on these bare patches and small cuts, is this from the fighting? Or is this a symptom of Cancer eye or Pink Eye that is not common in Highland cattle. I have had Angus all my life and have never seen anyhting like this.<p>: : Shon , <br>: : It sounds like ringworm to me . For some reason it seems like everyone I know including me has it this year . You can scrub it down and use topical fungacide , iodine or even bleach to help get rid of it quicker but this is not always possible due to time and facilities . It will go away on its own but they will look like miserable critters till then . <br>: : Ther is another posting on here about white spots around eyes , you can take a look at that and get some ideas . If you don't think this is it you might have some oldtimers or a vet look at it . Good Luck <p>: : Brent White <br>: : West Creek Ranch <br>: : Dix , IL<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts