hair loss and raw skin

Help Support CattleToday:

G

i have a 2-3 week old calf that has hair loss and raw skin on legs, reminds you of mange in a dog i have never seen anything like this any ideas and cures.

As vett said could be ring worm. Cryptosporidia is common in calves that age and will cause hair loss. If you get a chance post a pic.

Larry

I don't know what it is but I'm having the same problem, in one 5 week old, and one 7-8 week old.. Except its on the backbone.

First none of the other cattle are having this problem, i have 14 other calves and all are fine and running the pasture. i have not wormed yet and i will research the other possible problem that was suggested i will have to post a picture later. thanks

ireikie":2wtosr87 said:
First none of the other cattle are having this problem, i have 14 other calves and all are fine and running the pasture. i have not wormed yet and i will research the other possible problem that was suggested i will have to post a picture later. thanks

Ringworm is not actually a worm. It is a fungus. Dewormers will not fix it. If it is ringworm, time will work as well as anything to get rid of it, it is not a serious problem.

I would look into photosensitivity disease. Is the hairloss on white patches of hair?

if this is a calf on a cow and not a bottle calf, don't overlook the possibility of aggressive licking. oftentimes, particularly with dirty butts, cows will clean their babies to the point of hair loss. as this area becomes inflamed and oozes, the problem is often compounded by a good mother trying to clean up her baby.

Just came down from fields adn there is some improvement in calf. Raw skin has dried a lot today and looks better, getting to barn to put ointment on and keep closer eye on. Weather much cooler and ther were a lot less flys today. Spoke to a friend that suggested that possibly when born on hot day flys layed eggs adn larve hatched in past couple of days and causedd problems. thanks for the suegestions and ill keep forum posted. any other suggestions are welcome also. again thanks

If the hair loss is only on his back end starts at the but and goes down the outside of its back legs then I'm with Larry ,Cryptosporidia . Also excessive scouring causes hair loss like that as it tends to run down their back ends and legs.

Josh, that is most likely the cause of the hair loss in your BC's as you have had something go through them and are/were treating them ,,don't worry the hair will grow back.

The hair loss is not just on the back legs and she does not have the scours, the skin is dry anad rough and flakey on the head back adn on the front legs as well. the raw skin was on the front and back legs as well, but all raw skin has dried up somewhat today and she looks better.

Latest posts