had tongue for supper

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
As a kid I ate tongue occasionally and always liked it. I finally made one myself. I always thought Mom made it in a pressure cooker and I don't have one. Decided just to boil it. Called Mom to get some tips. Onion with a couple cloves, salt, pepper. Simmered it for 4 hours, it was really tender and good. I like it with yellow mustard. Didn't tell the kids and they liked it. Still haven't told them...

DON"T. I had some in August. It was tender but I knew what it was and its just not as good to me as pig tongue. Of course I probably cooked it wrong.

I don't plan on it. Maybe in a few years. :) I've never had pig tongue, we never raised them growing up. Dad didn't like the smell! And we had a dairy farm, go figure.
PS. Jo, thanks for the PM.

My oldest (17) had a halloween party and we did a "fear factor" type thing. Tongue was on the menu. I didn't peel it like you're supposed to... I just threw it in a pan and baked it. It came out looking especially nasty. After they all felt it, we split it down the middle and carved it up. Those kids were GROSSED OUT but the ones who tried it said it was good.... It was funny. After the party we threw it out to the cats....after being split open it resembled a boot..haha.

I don't peel it til it's cooked. I may have told this story but in 3rd grade for show and tell I brought tongue and made everyone try it and then told them what it was!

Bez+":191e0ej4 said:
Sorry folks - I do not care.

That tongue has licked just too many things for me to want to taste it

Bez+

this from someone who wants to eat menudo!! :lol:

iowahawkeyes":28pft2kx said:
Bez+":28pft2kx said:

Bez+

I am willing to try anything once - have done the tongue thing - just could never get my mind to settle down as I chewed on something that had licked the crap off the back end of a calf

Bez+

Bez+":17hux31e said:
iowahawkeyes":17hux31e said:
Bez+":17hux31e said:

Bez+

I am willing to try anything once - have done the tongue thing - just could never get my mind to settle down as I chewed on something that had licked the crap off the back end of a calf

Bez+

"Edited" as my hands had the common sense not to type what my mind was thinking................ :lol: :help:

You know, I was rather careless one day and had to go swimming in a liquid manure pit to rescue a calf.

Wrote a story about having to drive home with absolutely no clothes on - sitting on a feed bag because I was so dirty.

Wife would not let me in the house - hosed me down on the front lawn - water was darned cold.

All I could think about that day was the cow licking that darned calf off!

And you want to eat that thing? Yuck!

Bez+

I hosed down hubby at least twice as a result of a swim in the liquid manure pit rescuing cows ,dog ,, :roll: BUT it was always with the high pressured hose we used to clean the milking parlor...OUCH is putting it nicely..and the water was ice cold.. :cowboy:

One time we had to rescue 7 bred heifers that went for a swim in the pit because the clean up bull broke the corral they were in and we had over 60 head of that age group get out ;most went out to the unfenced barley field right by a very busy hiway.. but 7 decided to go for a swim.. Not a good scene. But the good news was with the help of great friends and neighbors we got all of them back/out, and the sh@tty ones hosed down. They all calved on schedule ,, and had healthy calves.. :D

Latest posts