Had to put Horse down.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks TLC, I too forgot about the various complications worms can cause in horses.

Beefy":3p6091zu said:
good one! i completely forgot about worms causing colic. if they have a heavy parasite load and you kill them all at once the dead worms can cause an impaction.
Thanks for the information everybody, as far as the Worms go She may have had some don't know for sure what all the signs are. but she has not been wormed in a while. it will be something I do on the other Two real soon thanks for letting me know.

This is V_Key's Dad
The treatment for colic is to tube with Mineral Oil at both ends and walk them out. Banamine injuction - "Doc.Bells in the old days" (opium)(sp) - really help with the pain and help the horse to relax.

A friend had a horse that coliced and the Vet gave up on it. I tied it to the back of the truck a walked it about 5 or 6 miles. It died of old age last year.

If a horse tends to colic I soak beet pulp in water and molasses and mix it with their grain - - peet pulp is roughage and more roughage is what is needed - - DO NOT feed Dry peet pulp - it will draw the moister out of the horse's gut and water is part of what is needed to keep the gut active

There is only one way to save a horse with a twisted gut - Operate quick before Ganggreen(sp) sets in - - when a horse rolls the weight of the feed, sand, water impacted gut causes it to twist "Not Gas"

Most horses will keep turning their head to Look at their stomic - in the first sign of colic

Horses at colic tend to colic!

I think "to good of feed" helps colic a horse - - That maybe why in 67 years I've never had a horse to colic. :roll:

:) I'm so sorry about your horse it is always so hard to do. Floating your horses teeth are very important if they can't chew their food correctly it will pack up and can cause colic,ask your vet about floating teeth and how important it is.I'v spent many nites walking horses to prevent them from rolling with a colic also have had one have colic surg. which is very expensive unless you have medical insurance on them,which I didn't it was a mini stallion and he pulled thru with flying colors he had a huge impaction there was no way of him passing it.I have him to this day.

Latest posts