had people come back to my place last night.. they were 'lost'

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
you can't see my house from the road.. I live back a 2k' lane.

these crackheads came back in a old truck .. I walked out with a gun to my side asking what they needed.. I think they were a little surprised to see someone back there.

They were "lost" and looking for another road.. :roll: yea.. usually when i'm lost.. i drive back a long dark lane as quiet as possible.. I wouldn't just stop at one of the other houses 50' off the road and ask or anything...

If anyone makes it back to our house they are either lost or know us. We're only 1/2 a nile from the pavement but around a couple of bends and over a hill.

I used to have a little road going up beside my place. It was the right of way to a farm behind mine. There was always people getting "lost" and going down it. I finally got the opportunity to buy the farm and did. I put a gate accross it, and nobody has gotten lost since.

True Grit Farms":1amdr496 said:
This is bad, you need to keep your gate shut at night.

yea I know it.. I've always shut and locked it and for the last week haven't since i've been getting gravel delivered and a guys been coming over and helping me so I've left it open. Time to start lockdown procedures every night again as usual.

:bang:

I think they must of missed the 15 no tresspassing signs also.. lol

In the future I'm going to put in a wifi camera / audio with remote gate. I have a little garage by the road with electric I could run everything right off of.

With the crackheads here I have a 45 and the wife a 38 at all times.
Have a long drive like you the common excuse is we needed gas when scoping you out. I don't have much problem anymore after putting a couple in prison. Neighbors and I have taken a hard line and file trespassing on them with the JP being one of those word has got out.
I can't remember an incident when the sheriff pulls them over they don't have drugs or the paraphernalia on them, meth is a huge problem here.
As far gates go when there on meth needing a fix a gate means nothing had one last year climb the JP's after I ran him off before the deputy got here.

I guess we're lucky. There are enough places closer to town for the dopers to go to do their drugs.

I am blessed to live where I am. We have lived here 45 years and never locked anything up. We have good neighbors who look out for each other and crime has never been much of a problem.

There's a railroad tressel near my house and nearly daily there's a vehicle parked there. I'll stop on my way home from work and ask them what they're doing, they'll reply oh just deer hunting then ask what I'm doing there, I reply I live here. I guess dopeheads are like coyotes, need to keep some good ones around to keep the bad ones out :bang:

Caustic Burno":2r941d0y said:
With the crackheads here I have a 45 and the wife a 38 at all times.
Have a long drive like you the common excuse is we needed gas when scoping you out. I don't have much problem anymore after putting a couple in prison. Neighbors and I have taken a hard line and file trespassing on them with the JP being one of those word has got out.
I can't remember an incident when the sheriff pulls them over they don't have drugs or the paraphernalia on them, meth is a huge problem here.
As far gates go when there on meth needing a fix a gate means nothing had one last year climb the JP's after I ran him off before the deputy got here.

i was going to call the sheriff but decided not too. probably should of.

Same thing, we live up a gravel road which dead ends about a quarter mile past our drive, then we are about 1/2 mile up off the gravel road..... can't see our house except for the last 150 ft of drive or so. About the third time meth heads drove up asking if "we had seen a lost dog" and one break in while we were gone a gate with a remote control went up at the end of our drive. We have 5 house in the two mile stretch of gravel road, now a few years later all but one has gates up. On occasion I have left the gate open during the day when expecting UPS, seems like more times then not I find some dumb azz on the property with some excuse........ I tend to lose whatever manners I have left at that point.

Sometimes you have to play their game. Give them some information they may pass on to their associates.

"Funny you came back here. Some fellow did that a while back and came up missing soon afterwards. The sheriff has been back here a couple of times looking, but he ain't found anything. They always want to check out that old well I have back there. He knows I'm crazy enough to do something...."

Just a story to get them to go another direction.

Alan":35eeuqj7 said:
a gate with a remote control went up at the end of our drive. We have 5 house in the two mile stretch of gravel road, now a few years later all but one has gates up.
After researching the horrible reviews these openers had, I gave up on it for a time, but I'm back to needing to put one up. Same deal as you guys, 1/4 mile driveway with house hidden from the road. I'm fed up with this crap.

I do have neighbors coming by every once in awhile asking about their dog etc. (actual neighbors, not the yahoos who are scoping me out) so I think I will have to post a sign with my phone number or something so I can come meet them, haven't figured that one out yet?

I've come to the conclusion that the deadbeats and freeloaders don't know how to read. I use trail cameras for surveillance of my driveway. Only the deer are close enough to hear the glass break, so we never locked the doors when we leave.

I guess I have bee lucky. But I have lived here for 37 years and have never had a problem. And I never lock the doors. The neighbors all look out for each other. We do have one druggy in the neighborhood, but several neighbors have told him that if they ever catch him on their property they will shoot first and ask questions later. As a result he seems to be pretty careful.

Our driveway (and I use that term loosely) is almost a mile long. We used to have a lot of people that were "lost" when we first moved here but not much of a problem any more.

The road at the entrance to the ranch forks; left leads to the house, right leads to the central pasture & barn. About 5 years ago 3 elderly Jehovah's Witnesses were traumatized after they paid us a visit & took the road to the barn. The gate was closed at the cattle guard & when they stopped they were suddenly surrounded by the entire herd, couldn't move for quite some time & there was no place to turn around. They were eventually able to back up the Buick LeSabre about a quarter of a mile, turn around & I'll be damned if they still didn't show up at the house. Of course they were greeted by our 3 Labs who are severely lacking in social graces; one immediately peed on the front tire, one jumped on the side of the car & the driver was afraid to get out, the third left a fair amount of slobber on one lady's coat when he rammed his head between her legs. I was gracious enough to take their pamphlet & wish them a nice day. They never came back :)

The ranch my wife use to own down on the Nevada Oregon border had a driveway 14 miles long. It came out on a road that a car goes down every hour or so. She had people show up at her ranch. I think they really were lost.

Latest posts