Had a round with a bull today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Back when I was working for a conservation district there was a story floating around about a guy working for a district up north of Seattle. He was out in a field taking soil samples. When a bull went to chasing him. To escape he went over a steep bank to the river. This is a pretty major river. He was standing on a small ledge at the waters edge. Stuck there. Deep water one way and a steep clay bank the other way. Some fishermen came along in a boat and saved him. Turned out that the "bull" was the farmer's daughter's 4H show steer. It was wanting grain from the bucket he was using for soil samples. When the story got out the rest of the conservation district employees were left shaking our heads. Some people should never be allowed to leave the office.

Yeah, I need to have a stick with me at all times around them, I tend to get to comfortable around them.
He's kinda bellered around and showed off around before, but would turn and go out when I came toward him. Today it was more aggressive and intense. They had already eaten and most had already left when I went back to drive them out.
Had any Coyotes or wolves or wilds dogs around them lately. I had a friend that handle his cows for years with no problems then one day while penning up for feeding and inspection got attacked by a cow that broke couple ribs and hospitalized him for 3 days. Just luckily his son was out with him that day and was able to help him get out. Come to find out some Coyotes had been in the woods where the cows sometimes bef down and had them spooky. That what they think happened anyway. He normally for 35 years handled and cut and loaded by his self. That particular day his 35 year old son was watching him. I admit I do stupid things sometimes and when you think they won't hurt you, then your stupid. They can run by you in a coral and crush your ribs not meaning to harm you. If they are disgruntled or been distressed by something they can be trouble.

Had any Coyotes or wolves or wilds dogs around them lately. I had a friend that handle his cows for years with no problems then one day while penning up for feeding and inspection got attacked by a cow that broke couple ribs and hospitalized him for 3 days. Just luckily his son was out with him that day and was able to help him get out. Come to find out some Coyotes had been in the woods where the cows sometimes bef down and had them spooky. That what they think happened anyway. He normally for 35 years handled and cut and loaded by his self. That particular day his 35 year old son was watching him. I admit I do stupid things sometimes and when you think they won't hurt you, then your stupid. They can run by you in a coral and crush your ribs not meaning to harm you. If they are disgruntled or been distressed by something they can be trouble.
There's always coyotes around, domestic dogs are a possible any time too, but don't seem to be as often of a problem as used to be.

That's why I used to fuss at my father for working cattle alone, and why I try to avoid it.

Latest posts