Had a great Saturday morning.

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Went coyote hunting with my oldest son this morning. The first one came in after about 5 min of calling and after I shot him my son turned the call to the distress call and the female came from over 400yds and I dropped her 30yds from her mate. The were both within 60 yds of me when they died! Temp was just above 0 with 4 in of fresh snow and 3-5mph wind. My kid complained all the way out about my lack of camo. So after we got back to the truck I asked him if he wanted to wear my camo next time he went out. ;-)
BTW I shot them both from under the tree just over my right shoulder and had just drug the female to where the male bit the dust.

100MEDIA36IMAG0061.jpg

100MEDIA36IMAG0062.jpg

Nice yotes. Look bigger than what we have here. The cows woke me up last night bellering like crazy so I walked out back and put the spot light on em and there were 4 yotes among the cattle. Of course they were gone by the time I got my gun out. What do you think them yotes weighed?

Isomade":2or6safk said:
Nice yotes. Look bigger than what we have here. The cows woke me up last night bellering like crazy so I walked out back and put the spot light on em and there were 4 yotes among the cattle. Of course they were gone by the time I got my gun out. What do you think them yotes weighed?

The male was heavy. 40 to 45 lbs. The bytch was not as well conditioned. she might go 35

Nice shooting!!! My son in law and I hunt coyotes mainly out of our tree stands. We have a few "buddy" stands so both can sit and bs and enjoy the time. You skinning and selling the hides?

Farmerjon":1npy6oyc said:
Nice shooting!!! My son in law and I hunt coyotes mainly out of our tree stands. We have a few "buddy" stands so both can sit and bs and enjoy the time. You skinning and selling the hides?

No I didn't skin them. They are already blowing some coat and that 22-250 blew some big holes in them at that distance. I went back later to get my shooting sticks and there were 2 fresh sets of tracks going right by where I shot them. I hauled them to the dead pit so as not to contaminate the area. It is a well traveled course between their den sites and the rest of the ranch. They use a ditch back there like a Hiway!

Zero temp...snow...wind....I can think of a thousand things to do besides go hunting. ;-) Bet it was fun tho.

TexasBred":cksf2jnq said:
Zero temp...snow...wind....I can think of a thousand things to do besides go hunting. ;-) Bet it was fun tho.

Finished the day out hunting geese with my buddy in the San Louis Valley. It got a lot colder than that by dark! Found out that my Benelli SBE doesn't like to cycle when it's below zero, so the geese are safe for another year, and I will be douching out the SBE real good today.
The best part was when my kid told me that when he calls coyotes with his friends they all have a theory and most of them have proved to be wrong. I just told him do it the way you want and see how it works.......it worked and my son thinks that, I think, he is a pretty smart fella.....a very good morning!

TexasBred":1pn5h2hg said:
Yep, I can see it now. 3wY and his son having to carry me back to the truck after I am frozen solid in the sitting position, nothing moving but my eyeballs. I ain't made for that.

Nice yotes 3way. Calling yotes is one of my favorite activities when I go out west. I have had many good hunts in the Owyhee desert out in Idaho. We don't have as many here in Tennessee but they tend to be bigger in size. Maybe it is the mild winters and abundant food or opportunities to mix with domestic dogs. I'm not sure. I have shot or trapped several males over 60 lbs. I saw one last week that was exceptionally large near the edge of town in the industrial park. It is definetly more fun to call out west......open space and big country. I love it! They won't usually cross open ground here to come to a call but take a route through the timber......shotguns with #2 buck or #4 turkey loads work good for those situations.

HOSS":1rhw7rt4 said:
Nice yotes 3way. Calling yotes is one of my favorite activities when I go out west. I have had many good hunts in the Owyhee desert out in Idaho. We don't have as many here in Tennessee but they tend to be bigger in size. Maybe it is the mild winters and abundant food or opportunities to mix with domestic dogs. I'm not sure. I have shot or trapped several males over 60 lbs. I saw one last week that was exceptionally large near the edge of town in the industrial park. It is definetly more fun to call out west......open space and big country. I love it! They won't usually cross open ground here to come to a call but take a route through the timber......shotguns with #2 buck or #4 turkey loads work good for those situations.

If we get a good moon tonight my boy and I are going out in the moonlight. no spotlight. I have a .17 rimfire pistol I want to try It is deadly under 100yds. I would love to get a Bobcat before that season ends. they are bringing BIG money. My buddy klilled a 27lb Tom this morning,

Isomade":219r7c17 said:
TexasBred":219r7c17 said:
Yep, I can see it now. 3wY and his son having to carry me back to the truck after I am frozen solid in the sitting position, nothing moving but my eyeballs. I ain't made for that.
I think I will just stay in by the fire with TB and Iso. :drink:

Couple of good looking yotes 3Way. My 10 year old son killed his first yote last night right before dark.

Beefman":uksi94it said:
Couple of good looking yotes 3Way. My 10 year old son killed his first yote last night right before dark.

Good for him. I thought I had one on the way to Olathe this morning but he ran into the sagebrush and laid down and just flat disapeared

Nice yotes, had a guy call tonight to go huntin in our pasture Sat. morning., hope he gets some. The dogs bark all night long... Storm coming Sunday, should be movin.

Latest posts