H2O

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

It's looking to be another drouth year around here in Central Texas. We've had .01" of measurable percipitation in the past 5 weeks, and this is supposed to be our rainy season. Ground is cracking open and the grass is stunting already. What's it look like in the rest of this fine country?

I'll specify "THIS" part of the MO Ozarks because 20 miles away the ocnditions can be so different. Half of normal rainfall for this month, about a third of normal for the year. Big improvement over the last three years, but that can change at anytime.

dun

> It's looking to be another drouth
> year around here in Central Texas.
> We've had .01" of measurable
> percipitation in the past 5 weeks,
> and this is supposed to be our
> rainy season. Ground is cracking
> open and the grass is stunting
> already. What's it look like in
> the rest of this fine country?

About same problem here Craig in Eastern Texas Panhandle region. Our average rainfall is about 22". We were behind for last year again. This year so far I think we have only had maybe 2-3" total...not looking good. Lots of center pivot irrigation around Panhandle as well as portable aluminum sprinkler systems. We have lot of deep sandy soil so water doesn't stay in root zone very long. At our place we started installing underground pop-up sprinkler units for our pen and paddock areas for specialty areas. Have also been using some 10 to 18 GPM portable sprinkler units that throw water in 50-60' radius (Rainbird Falcon Rotors).

> we are having and extremely good
> year with rain here in east texas,
> rainfall is well above average,
> and we are finally out of
> drought.. we're about 4 inches below normal in n. tex for this year

[email protected]

> It's looking to be another drouth
> year around here in Central Texas.
> We've had .01" of measurable
> percipitation in the past 5 weeks,
> and this is supposed to be our
> rainy season. Ground is cracking
> open and the grass is stunting
> already. What's it look like in
> the rest of this fine country? In Fl the swamps are again full and the lakes are back to and above normal and the skeeters are looking for fresh blood. Near my farm in Ky the new 850 ac. reservior was filled a year early due to excess rain. Al

[email protected]

> I'll specify "THIS" part
> of the MO Ozarks because 20 miles
> away the ocnditions can be so
> different. Half of normal rainfall
> for this month, about a third of
> normal for the year. Big
> improvement over the last three
> years, but that can change at
> anytime.

> dun ~~~~~~~~~~mid-tn good rain !gona have best hay & paster i've had in years!~~~tc

S.E. Kansas is currently in pretty good shape H20 wise. We usually get way to much inapril and may so when everyone else is dry we are about right. We always burn up in late July and August, dirt is too shallow.

[email protected]

What be this "dirt" stuff you refer too? You mean rock with a little bit of clay don't you?

dun

> S.E. Kansas is currently in pretty
> good shape H20 wise. We usually
> get way to much inapril and may so
> when everyone else is dry we are
> about right. We always burn up in
> late July and August, dirt is too
> shallow.

That's more like it!

dun

> Little rocks, clay, and the
> remains of stuff that died inn
> July and August years past.

Here in Mid-Georgia we had 10 inches of rain in April. We are out of the five year drought and in grass heaven. In fact we are mowing toxic fescue down just to keep it palatable, seed heads off, and to remove the shading of the clover. Hope it continues!

Latest posts