Gyr Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Been around a few..probably the most docile of the zebu breeds almost like a Hereford on Xanax ..tall rangy..with a lot of bad teats and udders..

From Wikipedia:
Zebu cattle are thought to be derived from the Indian aurochs Bos primigenius namadicus, a subspecies of the aurochs.[9] Wild Asian aurochs disappeared during the time of the Indus Valley Civilisation from its range in the Indus River basin and other parts of the South Asian region possibly due to interbreeding with domestic zebu and resultant fragmentation of wild populations due to loss of habitat.[10]

Archaeological evidence including depictions on pottery and rocks suggests that it was present in Egypt around 2000 BC and thought to be imported from the Near East or south. It is thought to have first appeared in sub-Saharan Africa between 700 and 1500 and was introduced to the Horn of Africa around 1000.[11]

Phylogenetic analysis revealed that all the zebu Y chromosome haplotype groups are found in three different lineages: Y3A, the most predominant and cosmopolitan lineage; Y3B, only observed in West Africa; and Y3C, predominant in south and northeast India.[12]

Never got that deep into their ancestry. Know they are one of three strains of zebu out of India. All three got in the American Brahman pot along the way back in the day.
Actually there were 4 strains - Guzerat, Gyr, Nelore, Indu-Brazil and Krishna Valley used in developing the American Brahman.

You are correct!
Old Shanghai Pierce was the one that came up with Brimmers.

He wasn't the only one. I seem to remember reading that the Sartwelle family, and I think at least one other, was also involved. The Sartwelle family owned the Port City Stockyards at Sealy for years.

I saw a farm sign up near Mt Vernon Texas (SE of Paris Tx) last week saying they raised Gyr cattle.
Might they be CT members?

Been around a few..probably the most docile of the zebu breeds almost like a Hereford on Xanax ..tall rangy..with a lot of bad teats and udders..
I only have 9 head and guess I am lucky but none of mine have bad teats or udders. Other than in the squeeze chute itself they are some of the most docile cows I've ever owned. They are also the best babysitters of all the Brahman I own.

The Gyr does originate from India. There are several different strains of Bos Indicus animals in India and many of them are are in such low numbers that some are fearing extinctions. This has happened because of so much western genetics being used on them in India.

The are also a lot of Gyr animals in South America.

The Gyr, Guzarat are just two of the strains that I know of that are mainly dairy. In South America they have been crossed with the Holstein.

We are working with two group on the registering of the Gyr and the other strains of the Bos Indicus animals. The other group is working on the presrvation of these breeds with the hopes to increase their numbers.

The Gyr has seen increased use as a cross on dairy cattle here in the US of both Holstein and Jersey.

I ran a gyr the last two years but have used a real moderate red Brahman on them too. I used gyr to make more females but the Brahman cross makes great cows too. I A.I.ed two to Hereford last year and it was the worse calves I've ever had from them.
I can believe that..the Hereford don't knock a home run on a Gyr..like they will on American reds and greys..

Latest posts