Guts hanging from naval

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Had a calf the other day with an open gut, born that way. Lucky to catch right away. Vet sewed back up but wasn't real optimistic. Anybody any experience w this? Still alive 36 hours later, but still not out of woods for sure. Just curious if anybody has saved one when born this way. Thanks!

I had that in the second twin that was a breech birth.. was dead anyhow, it took me a while (a day) to notice the cow still had one in there

Rniemann":37efnxfy said:
Had a calf the other day with an open gut, born that way. Lucky to catch right away. Vet sewed back up but wasn't real optimistic. Anybody any experience w this? Still alive 36 hours later, but still not out of woods for sure. Just curious if anybody has saved one when born this way. Thanks!

Neighbor had one two years ago. Key to success in keeping them alive is having everything ultra clean before sewing up and then hammering them hard with antibiotics.

Had one born that way last year. Was born during the night and already dead when I found him in the morning, same cow just had a healthy heifer calf 2 weeks ago.

Latest posts