Gut hook knife

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
After processing as many as a dozen feral hogs in a day, I acquired an old knife with a gut hook. It took some work but I got the knife in good shape. It shaves and all the rust was polished off with scotch brite and the blade was oiled very well. I am satisfied with the cutting edge and overall feel of the knife itself. It will make a good addition to my collection.

But how do you sharpen the gut hook part of the knife? It looks like I need a about a 3/8 inch round rod of some sort. I have round files but never put files on knife blades. Do they make stones that are round for this?

I have many stones and even diamond edge sharpeners but everything is flat. What do I use to sharpen the hook?

There are round stones sirt of like rat tailed file shape and some flat ones that have a rounded edge for just that purpose

dun

dun":52zailxh said:
There are round stones sirt of like rat tailed file shape and some flat ones that have a rounded edge for just that purpose

dun

Thanks dun. Guess I will be looking for one. That hook wouldn't cut through a fishing line in its current state.

Depending on how big the curve in the blade is you can buy a sharpener that you use for chainsaw blades.

I've got a little diamond steel that might work. It's 3 1/2" long and 1/4" in dia. A friend gave it to me and I never use it. It's kind of like one of those old little brass handled hammers you used to see that you unscrewed the end and it had a bunch of little screwdrivers inside. You unscrew the end and turn it aroud and screw it back together to make the handle. I used it a few time when I first got it and it will put an edge on a knife. I think it was probably designed for field use. I tried once to use it on a hoof knife but it was to fat to reach the bottom of the curve.

If you want to try it you're welcome to it. I've got more knife sharpening stuff laying around then three generations could wear out.Z

Mill Iron I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it.

We are smoking a hog this weekend for an extended family Christmas shindig up in the Arlington/Mansfield area. I had two hogs left that I trapped as 30 pounders back in August. They are around 100 lbs now. I also got a sow that looks duroc who had pigs. Anyway, they wanted another hog smoked this year and I put it up tonight. It is in a vinegar and lemon brine in an ice chest right now. I'll drain it in the a.m. and rinse it and let it set in water until tomorrow night. Then I will add more water and fresh ice, keeping up the cycle until Friday. Friday night I will rub it down with good rub and put in on the smoker with pecan wood. Come Saturday it will be gobbled down.

Anyway, I shouldn't need the hook sharpened for a while. I'll look around while I am up in the metroplex and see if I can't find one at Academy or another place. I won a $200 gift certificate to (can't think of the outdoors place but it is the big new sporting goods outfitters up by Bass Pro in Grapevine) back in June and I haven't been up there. I may get up there while I am in the metroplex.

Hopefully I will find one that is pretty much the exact size as the hook. This is going to be a new learning curve for me and I am kind of looking forward to it.

You talking about Cabela's? That's on a growing list of places I'm not allowed to go without spousal supervision. The last time I went to D&D I saved over $600 and it only took $700 to do it.Z

MillIronQH":2nz7632b said:
You talking about Cabela's? That's on a growing list of places I'm not allowed to go without spousal supervision. The last time I went to D&D I saved over $600 and it only took $700 to do it.Z

Yessir. That's the place.

Couldn't think of it off the top of my head. Never been in there. I've got more camping gear than I will ever use.

I could use another really good ice chest. My best one is one of those 160 quart 7 day ice chests. It cost a bunch of nickels and then I saw a big fat fool sitting on top of it. MillIron nothing upsets me generally, but when I spend $150 on an ice chest and someone sits on it, I get really ticked. I take care of everything I own. Seems every ice chest I have bought over the past 30 years has had the lid damaged from people sitting on them. I made that fatso get up and sure as heck there was a crack in the lid right next to the hinge. There were chairs everywhere too. He was just to lazy to walk 10 feet to get a chair I guess. Anyway, I may bet a new ice chest from Cabella's. Maybe I will spike the lid on this one. :lol: :lol:

MillIronQH":x9re8nzc said:

That's the way my wife explains her purchases, but she says it doesn't work the same if I'm going to a bull or cow sale. Go figure.

sidney411":17n2xops said:
BHB - My Dad has this little porselin rod out of something that he uses and I think I've heard someone say to use a welding rod???

Yesmam. I do have a piece of tungsten rod, used in tig welding, that is great to use after you get a knife to shave on the wet rock. It kind of polishes off the rough edge. Kind of like using a good piece of leather the way the barbers used to.

Just kind of set in my ways I guess. I have always used flat stones or flat diamond edge sharpeners. I could make anything perfect, even fish hooks, then I got this gut hook knife. Now I have to change my ways. New adventures never hurt anyone.

I am really liking the knife itself. I tweaked on the handle a little too and it feels really good. Probably never be suited for anyone else's grip now. The steel is good. If I can just master getting the hook sharpened I'll be in good shape.

Was in Bass Pro shop. They had a round diamond rod up by the counter. Was collapsable and when retracted looked like a ball point pen. Bought my son one for XMas. That would probably do the trick.

BHB, just found the thread. Did you get your guthook sharp :?:
If you did then good, if not then here goes but it is a pain in the ars :oops:
As you know a chainsaw file, or rattail file is WAY to corse; and no one is going to make a sharpining rod the size of your guthook. To sharpen a knife, or clean a gun takes a lot of time, and patience.
Take a piece of sandpaper, or emery, about 3" square. Roll it up real tight like a cigarette. 320 grit works well for me, but you may have to start out a lil corser at first. You said that you pollished it, so you may not know if you are in the grove or not. Smoke the hook with the flame of a lighter or torch (just enough to turn it black). Use the "cigarette" back and forth a couple of times as you would a file. If you are not in the bottom of the grove, then you can unwrap the sanding cloth a lil at a time untill you have it right. The problem is by the time it is right, the sandpaper is worne out.(I told you it was a pain in the ars ;-)) You can unwrap the paper, and re-wrap the other way one time, then it is time to start all over.
You know how to sharpen a knife, so you will have to feel for the drag as you cannot shave hair, or cut paper, or drag a fingernail like you would a blade to tell when you are there.
I have tried a lot of ways, and this is the only way that works for me. If you have learned another way, then please share it, if not, good luck, and let me know if it works.
Remember pantience, :lol:
Mac

the gut hooks i have seen are for grabbing and twisting the innards not for cutting...i know with a pocket knife usually the gut hook is for cleaning quail or other small game...i've never seen a sharp gut hook...

DRB":25zqhhfg said:
the gut hooks i have seen are for grabbing and twisting the innards not for cutting...i know with a pocket knife usually the gut hook is for cleaning quail or other small game...i've never seen a sharp gut hook...

It is not realy a "GUT HOOK". It is on the back of a skinning knife to cut through the hide without cutting into the GUTS.

Mac

backhoeboogie":100gtoxh said:
We are smoking a hog this weekend for an extended family Christmas shindig up in the Arlington/Mansfield area. I had two hogs left that I trapped as 30 pounders back in August. They are around 100 lbs now. I also got a sow that looks duroc who had pigs. Anyway, they wanted another hog smoked this year and I put it up tonight. It is in a vinegar and lemon brine in an ice chest right now. I'll drain it in the a.m. and rinse it and let it set in water until tomorrow night. Then I will add more water and fresh ice, keeping up the cycle until Friday. Friday night I will rub it down with good rub and put in on the smoker with pecan wood. Come Saturday it will be gobbled down.

Mmmmm....GOOD! reminds me of my younger days back home on our Texas ranch! I have not had me a mess of smoked hog in more years then I care to remember!!!

Just reading the comments I just remembered a childhood friend of mine who was a deer dresser who just passed away 1 month ago.

Dremil and a grinding tip. You can pick up a decent kit at HF and the chainsaw stones where they sell chain saws.

Latest posts